cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dr_winfried_koc
Level III

How can I open or access SAS format files of type SAS7BCAT as a JMP user

As a JMP user I can open SAS standard data sets of type sas7bdat without problem. How can I open or access SAS format files of type SAS7BAT?

Message was edited by: Jeff Perkinson - Changed subject to show correct file extension, sas7bcat.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eric_Hill
Staff

Re: How can I open or access SAS format files of type SAS7BAT as a JMP user

Hey, Dr. Koch,

Ahh, okay, .sas7bcat files.  A .sas7bcat file is a SAS Catalog, and, yes, catalogs are where user-defined formats are stored (among other things).

You cannot open .sas7bcat files in JMP.  If you want to use the user-defined formats stored in catalogs in JMP, you will need to connect to a SAS server from JMP and access the data that way, instead of using File > Open.  JMP has the ability to convert SAS user-defined formats to JMP value labels when connected to SAS.

HTH,

Eric

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

you can go to File  >> Open

there, at the bottom you can choose the file type for sas or spss or any other option in the list.

11918_Untitled.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

I can't find anything about an extension SAS7BAT.  Was it renamed?

Craige
Eric_Hill
Staff

I don't believe there is such a thing as .sas7bat.  There is just .sas7bdat.  What makes you think otherwise?

Eric

dr_winfried_koc
Level III

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately I have committed an error in writing my question. The SAS data type which I cannot open is formats.sas7bcat (I omitted the character c). This is the data type which SAS seems to use for storing format information of the variables in data sets. Do you have any advice for this?

Eric_Hill
Staff

Hey, Dr. Koch,

Ahh, okay, .sas7bcat files.  A .sas7bcat file is a SAS Catalog, and, yes, catalogs are where user-defined formats are stored (among other things).

You cannot open .sas7bcat files in JMP.  If you want to use the user-defined formats stored in catalogs in JMP, you will need to connect to a SAS server from JMP and access the data that way, instead of using File > Open.  JMP has the ability to convert SAS user-defined formats to JMP value labels when connected to SAS.

HTH,

Eric

dr_winfried_koc
Level III

Re: How can I open or access SAS format files of type SAS7BCAT as a JMP user

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your very helpful answer which fully clarifies my question and the related issue.

Winfried