cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
madhu
Level III

How can I generate a simulated database

I need to generate a large database through simulation in JMP Pro 16. It could follow any probability distribution. Can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How can I generate a simulated database

I see from your previous discussion item that other members have pointed you to the random number functions available in JMP.  I assume that from your repeating of the question, you are not capable of expanding on the information they provided, into the creation of a data table.  Below is a simple sample of a script that produces a data table with 2 columns with 2 different distributions used for the 2 columns.  This should give you a big leg up on expanding the JSL to what you specifically need.

names default to here(1);
dt=new table("Simulated",
	add rows(1000),
	new column("col 1",
		set each value(random uniform(1,1000000)) // range of values from 1 to 1,000,000
	),
	new column("col 2",
		set each value(random normal(200, 15)) // mean of 200, std of 15
	)
);

// There are many other distributions that can be generated
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

I see from your previous discussion item that other members have pointed you to the random number functions available in JMP.  I assume that from your repeating of the question, you are not capable of expanding on the information they provided, into the creation of a data table.  Below is a simple sample of a script that produces a data table with 2 columns with 2 different distributions used for the 2 columns.  This should give you a big leg up on expanding the JSL to what you specifically need.

names default to here(1);
dt=new table("Simulated",
	add rows(1000),
	new column("col 1",
		set each value(random uniform(1,1000000)) // range of values from 1 to 1,000,000
	),
	new column("col 2",
		set each value(random normal(200, 15)) // mean of 200, std of 15
	)
);

// There are many other distributions that can be generated
Jim
madhu
Level III

Great, this works. Thank you