cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
saitcopuroglu
Level IV

How can I calculate by Functions?

Dear Community, I need your help to calculate as a new column as MinADR of:

(600+500)-(400+300) / (60+50)-(40+30) placed in the row of Label "b"

8110_Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 16.26.47.png

7 REPLIES 7
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How can I calculate by Functions?

here's my table

8122_table.png

Here's Tables->Summary, Column2->Statistics->Sum, Column1->Group:

8123_table2.png

Add a formula column to the summary table:

8124_formula.png

Sum(Column 2) is a really ugly variable name, not a function call.

Getting close:

8125_table3.png

Tables->Join from the original, join with the summary, use the aabbbccc column to match the rows....

8129_join.png

OK

8130_table4.png

Way back in the summary step you can summarize both of your columns at the same time; I've only shown the numerator columns here.  Renaming the columns along the way may help too.  The "source" scripts from the intermediate tables might be useful as well if you need to script this for multiple runs.

Craige
saitcopuroglu
Level IV

Uhhhh, so complicated? I'm even unable to replicate your steps Even I could after rerunning the JSL as an automated report production each time the result will be a different named table "unnamed8, unnamed9, unnamed10..." and the script itself will stop rolling and I have no clue how to manage that problem But many thanks for taking your time and sharing your solution !

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm afraid there may be some misunderstanding about what you're trying to do.

Are you trying to put a computation in an individual cell the way you would with Excel? If so, then that may be the source of your frustration.

JMP's data table isn't a spreadsheet. A formula applies to an entire column not individual cells.

If I've misunderstood, perhaps you could explain a bit more about what you're trying to do and we could provide a simpler solution.

-Jeff

-Jeff
saitcopuroglu
Level IV

Dear Jeff,

I solved the problem by creating summary tables adding columns adding formulas to columns and calculating the desired variables. I was wondering if I was able to solve the equation without creating new summary tables. The question is:

Am I able to calculate in a new column the the (subtraction of ColSum of Revenue by one Variable of Label from another) and divide it by the (subtraction of ColSum of Rooms by one Variable of Label from another)..

Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

8141_Lable.jpg

Okay, this is significantly less generalized but also less complicated...

saitcopuroglu
Level IV

Thank you Kevin,

This would solve the simplified example data table but actually the real data table consist of 600.000 rows of a, b and c

vinkane
Level III

This column formula seems to work ok for me

If(

:Label == "b" & Lag( :Label, 1 ) != "b",

(Lag( :Revenue, 2 ) + Lag( :Revenue, 1 )) / (Lag( :Room, 2 ) +

Lag( :Room, 1 )),

:Label == "b" & Lag( :Label, 1 ) == "b",

(Lag( :Revenue, 3 ) + Lag( :Revenue, 2 )) / (Lag( :Room, 3 ) +

Lag( :Room, 2 )),

)