cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How can I calculate Pooled Variance Estimate in JMP?

Hello JMP Community,

How can I calculate Pooled Variance in JMP?

I am hoping, as with all things JMP, this exists and I have just not found the magic pathways to produce the desired results quickly and efficiently.  I can of course do this by going through the actual maths myself, but I have frequently run into this situation so it would be great to learn if this already exists in JMP.

I have a data set that is grouped by process conditions which have differing means as a result of process centering (tuning) activities.  I would like to generate a pooled variance estimate for this process for use in specifications/capability estimates in support of this new process launch.  My total run count is rather low so for initial process variability/capability discussions I would like to do this to increase my N count.

Technical Situation

- Process 1 Condition A, was running at lower end of our desired process window [n=8]

- Process 1 Condition B, changed our tuning lever to center the process (new) to the desired target [n=10]

- The process change resulted in a mean shift, but did not change the process variability (and fundamentally was not expected to)

- I would like to generate the "Pooled Variance" estimate for the P1CA + P1CB

- As this is a new process, my data set is limited, so the desire is to use this to enable a increase n count during initial capability discussions

This is the simply case.  I have much more complex cases but they all follow this same scenario where variance is unaffected when a lever was pulled to create a mean shift.

Thank You,

WanderedProcess

***sorry if a thread exists detailing this.  I did try searching key terms I am familiar with. =-] ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How can I calculate Pooled Variance Estimate in JMP?

If you only have 2 groups, can't you just do the One-way Analysis in Fit Y by X (red-arrow > Mean/ANOVA/Pooled t)?  The Mean Square Error (MSE) is the pooled variance estimate.  You can grab that from the ANOVA table or by squaring the RMSE in the summary.

-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

If you only have 2 groups, can't you just do the One-way Analysis in Fit Y by X (red-arrow > Mean/ANOVA/Pooled t)?  The Mean Square Error (MSE) is the pooled variance estimate.  You can grab that from the ANOVA table or by squaring the RMSE in the summary.

-- Cameron Willden

Thank You very much. I knew it was hiding in there somewhere!