cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Bradley_Torres
Level III

How can I adjust the Bar´s width in Bar plots?

Hi everyone, I´m a JMP new user and I´m preparing bar plots. I wonder how can I proceed to adjust bar´s width. There is any script code line that should be added or edited? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: How can I adjust the Bar´s width in Bar plots?

Maybe adjusting Width Proportion is enough. Right click on graph builder and select customize:

jthi_0-1648965509185.png

Select Bar on the left and modify Width Proportion:

jthi_1-1648965523387.png

Width proportion 0.1:

jthi_2-1648965556356.png

Width proportion 0.95:

jthi_3-1648965575412.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

Maybe adjusting Width Proportion is enough. Right click on graph builder and select customize:

jthi_0-1648965509185.png

Select Bar on the left and modify Width Proportion:

jthi_1-1648965523387.png

Width proportion 0.1:

jthi_2-1648965556356.png

Width proportion 0.95:

jthi_3-1648965575412.png

-Jarmo
Bradley_Torres
Level III

Thank you jthi for your answer! It was quite useful. I applied it and worked The only detail was that I had multiple plots (several x-groups and y-groups), but it was solved by first, trying some width proportions as you indicated with one graph to get the desired one, then degrouping all the graphs, then setting the width proportion determined before, and then regroup. Now my graph look quite better.  

P_Bartell
Level VIII

As as a new JMP user, just be careful...in many, many JMP bar type visualizations (such as Mosaic plots) the width of the bar has interpretive meaning...often times the widths of the bars are intentionally determined by JMP to represent proportionality of sample size for the variable on an axis.

Bradley_Torres
Level III

Thank you so much for your answer and for your warning :). Ok, sure, I will take care with those bar type visualizations. In my current case, they are just conventional bar plots, but I have multiple plots in one (some x and y-groups), so I just wanted to decrease the bar width to make them look less crowded. Thank you again for your help.