cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Brice_L
Level I

How F Ratio Value is determined for Brown-Forsythe and Levene's test for Equal Variance

I had evaluate the JMP output for Brown-Forsythe and Levene's test for Equal Variance under Fit X-Y analysis module.  The values from the JMP Fit X-Y are F-Ratio, DOF for factor, DOF for sample, and Prop>F.  I performed Levenes and Brown-Forsythe test in excel using the single factor ANOVA module in the data analysis add-on to complete the Levenes and Brown-Forsythe analysis.  The F-ratio from JMP and the excel F values are different.  If the F-ratio value is different from the F value, can the F-ratio be translated into an F-value?  If F-ratio and F value are the same, why are there discrepancies between excel and JMP values?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
MRB3855
Super User

Re: How F Ratio Value is determined for Brown-Forsythe and Levene's test for Equal Variance

Hi @Brice_L : The excel results you show are for comparing means (via ANOVA), not for comparing variances. There must be some other Excel output that you've missed?  

Brice_L
Level I

Re: How F Ratio Value is determined for Brown-Forsythe and Levene's test for Equal Variance

Thank you for the feedback.  Clarification.  I am manually calculating Levene and Brown-Forsythe using the ANOVA function in excel.  The image of the excel output I provided was the final step of the Levene's and Brown-Forsythe.  I have attached the excel file to further clarify what I am doing.  Youtube video also describes what I am doing   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoYos9IwZNY

This video demonstrates how to conduct and interpret a Levene's Test of Homogeneity of Variances in Microsoft Excel. The result of the Levene's Test in Excel is identical to the result found using SPSS.