cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

Histograms in column headers

Our group just got JMP v15.1 installed on our systems today, so it was my first chance to try it out.

At risk of being gratuitous, I have to say the new histograms in the column headers is probably the best and most surprisingly-useful-and-well-implemented feature I've seen in a piece of software in a very long time.  I was delighted -- and even giddy -- when I realized I could click on the bars in the histograms to select the corresponding rows and have them highlight in the other column-header histograms.  I felt like I instantly had a sense for what was in the file, and could quickly gauge what was driving some of the key factors.

It's frankly brilliant.  Kudos to whoever had the idea, and even more to those who figured out how to implement it so cleanly.  Bravo!

4 REPLIES 4
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Histograms in column headers

I couldn't agree more, @BHarris! We'll make sure @XanGregg and his development team hear your comment; they do brilliant work.

@julian 

XanGregg
Staff

Thanks @BHarris, it's hard to know for sure how useful new features are in the field, so it's great to get the feedback.

BHarris
Level VI

Wait -- you *created* Graph Builder??

Column histograms are really cool, but as an engineer who has spent 20 years trying to make sense of simulation data, frankly, Graph Builder is probably the single most-useful piece of software I've ever seen.  We used to use Excel, then gnuplot, skipped MathCAD and Mathematica and moved to Matlab, then python/Matplotlib, then considered R for a bit, but 3 years ago, after a 5-minute demo of Graph Builder we dumped all of those and switched to JMP and haven't looked back.  How in the world do you get it to plot half-a-million data-points *while I'm dragging the mouse* over the drop zones?!  It's some kind of crazy black-magic you've got going in there, and it's seriously amazing.  And it works just as well on the Mac as on Windows.  Wow.

I've given demos to a bunch of folks at work and have probably converted 20 people over to JMP with it, and I'm just getting started.  ;)

Serious kudos -- you (and I assume your team) have done some truly amazing and highly valuable work.  Thank you!

XanGregg
Staff

Awesome -- thanks!! Throughout JMP development, there is an effort to treat performance as a feature, so glad you noticed that, too.