cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
waltp
Level I

Hiding Intermediate JMP Data Tables

Hi,

I have a script that creates a number of intermediate data tables.  The final result of the script is a series of bubbles charts.  Unfortunately, between the beginning of the script and the displaying of the last bubble chart, all the intermediate tables are also displayed.  I don't want to see them -- just the bubble charts.  How can I hide the intermediate tables?  I tried using Invisible, but this seems to make a table literally invisible to all following uses of it so that errors occur -- the table is not there.  Any suggestions for hiding the display of a table?

Thanks,

Walt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: Hiding Intermediate JMP Data Tables

Make sure you have a variable that references your invisible tables, or else they won't work.  This is straight out of the JSL documentation:

If you want to avoid a window appearing when you create a new data table, use the invisible keyword. 

For example, to create an invisible table Abc with one column of ten rows,

dt = newTable("Abc", invisible, newColumn("X"),addRows(10));

Note: To prevent “lost” data tables created invisibly, you can create an invisible data table only if you assign
it a reference. If you do create an invisible data table without a reference, JMP immediately destroys it, so
any further uses of the table result in errors.

Tip: Once you are finished with an invisible data table, do not forget to close it. Otherwise, it remains in
memory until you quit JMP.

The other thing you can do is to turn a table invisible with the show window(0) command.  In the following example the tabulation is invisible, but when I convert it to a table it is not, therefore I use the show window(0) command:

surv_tab = surv_dataset << Tabulate(
      Show Control Panel( 0 ),
      Add Table(
            Column Table( Grouping Columns( :Time Period ) ),
            Row Table( Grouping Columns( :SOC Name, :HLT Name, :PT Name ) )
      ), invisible
);
surv_pt_main = surv_tab << make into data table;
surv_tab     << close window;
surv_pt_main << show window(0);

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dghidoni
Level II

don't know if useful, but I use Invisible with success for a similar question.

maybe the difference is that i give a name to the intermediate tables and save them, and later I open them with invisible (I do it in a batch cycle, so i generate several intermediate tables for my needs in different steps, and only in the end I open them to generate the graphs)

pmroz
Super User

Make sure you have a variable that references your invisible tables, or else they won't work.  This is straight out of the JSL documentation:

If you want to avoid a window appearing when you create a new data table, use the invisible keyword. 

For example, to create an invisible table Abc with one column of ten rows,

dt = newTable("Abc", invisible, newColumn("X"),addRows(10));

Note: To prevent “lost” data tables created invisibly, you can create an invisible data table only if you assign
it a reference. If you do create an invisible data table without a reference, JMP immediately destroys it, so
any further uses of the table result in errors.

Tip: Once you are finished with an invisible data table, do not forget to close it. Otherwise, it remains in
memory until you quit JMP.

The other thing you can do is to turn a table invisible with the show window(0) command.  In the following example the tabulation is invisible, but when I convert it to a table it is not, therefore I use the show window(0) command:

surv_tab = surv_dataset << Tabulate(
      Show Control Panel( 0 ),
      Add Table(
            Column Table( Grouping Columns( :Time Period ) ),
            Row Table( Grouping Columns( :SOC Name, :HLT Name, :PT Name ) )
      ), invisible
);
surv_pt_main = surv_tab << make into data table;
surv_tab     << close window;
surv_pt_main << show window(0);