cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ataylor
Level III

Help with Reading a Connecting Letters Report

For pairwise comparisons, I understand the core idea in the Connecting Letter Report, is that if two groups don't share a letter they are significantly different. In the example posted here, I don't understand why we need both of the two first columns --- the second column appears to make the first one redundant since the second column tells us that all pairs between grp_0, grp_1, grp_3, grp_4, grp_5 are not significant and the first column is just the subset of groups 3, 4, and 5, which is covered by the list above.  

Also to confirm, is it a correct interpretation to say this report tells us that the only pairing that are significant are grp_2/grp_3 and grp_2/grp_5?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ataylor
Level III

Re: Help with Reading a Connecting Letters Report

I decided my interpretation was correct that this table shows there is some sort of bug/error in the Games-Howell plugin and I've posted in the comments for that plugin about this issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Most of the time when you see a connecting letters report that seems "nonsensical", the groups typically have different sample sizes and/or the assumption of equal variances has been violated. Are either of these the case for your data? Also, the type of multiple comparison test that you used can play a part on this, too. Which test were you using?

Dan Obermiller
ataylor
Level III

This is actually coming from the Games-Howell plugin (so the unequal sample sizes and unequal variance should be handled).  We have some proprietary data where we have evidence the letters report in that plugin has bugs/errors.  I generated these data specifically to illustrate that and wanted to make sure that my understanding of this being wrong is correct before I post about there being errors in the plugin. 

ataylor
Level III

And interestingly, if I run Tukey in the main program on the same data, the letters report matches the p-values returned and does not have these oddities, so it is definitely something going on in the Games-Howell plugin. 

ataylor
Level III

I decided my interpretation was correct that this table shows there is some sort of bug/error in the Games-Howell plugin and I've posted in the comments for that plugin about this issue.