cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
aliegner1
Level IV

Help doing a table transform and converting a timestamp?

so I've got a data table from a sensor that I am not quite sure how to get formatted correctly. It's a light sensor that outputs voltage readings.

The first column in the table is the wavelength measured and then there's 100+ columns for each time instance it measures data.

How would I go about transforming or pivoting this correctly? Would just a Table Transpose be the correct activity?

Next, advice on how to convert raw timestamp into a usable timeseries? It comes out looking like this.

DD-MM-YYYYTHH:MM:SS.###Z

what can I do to convert this into a usable timeseries value to plot as an x-axis? It's down to the thousandth of a second, 0.1s increments.

Bonus, how to do this to find the min and max and normalize the time to be 0-->max?

14-07-2020T22:47:31.400Z
14-07-2020T22:47:31.500Z
14-07-2020T22:47:31.600Z
14-07-2020T22:47:31.700Z
14-07-2020T22:47:31.800Z
14-07-2020T22:47:31.900Z

11 REPLIES 11
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Help doing a table transform and converting a timestamp?

@aliegner1 wrote:

Question about the timestamps: how would I convert this to a raw time duration? I'm seeing there's the "Date Difference" formula, but it looks like it needs two columns. How do I just make this a time series starting at 0.000s --> max time?

Before we go too much further I think we need to clarify this question here. @txnelson interpreted that as you wanting to get rid of the date portion of the datetime value. I don't think that's what you want.

You've now got a column of datetime values. That column can be used as a time series, it just won't start at 0.

If, instead, you'd rather a column that counted the time difference between consecutive rows of the data table that's easy to do with simple subtraction and row subscripting.

2020-09-09_11-59-26.691.png

I have a couple of things to point out here:

• In the first row the value is set to 0.
  • I don't need to use the Date Difference() function because I'm interested in the values in secs. So, simple subtraction works.
  • Because of floating point arithmetic the difference in these values aren't precisely on the tenths of a second. I've formatted this column to display in tenths of a second, i.e. Fixed Dec with 1 decimal place.
  • Finally, but perhaps more complicated is that your original question said that you had multiple wavelengths. Do you want to restart this time sequence at 0 for each wavelength? If so, that's not a problem. It will just take a couple of changes to the formula.

2020-09-09_12-04-31.018.png

• Now the formula checks for row 1 or for the lamda value to be different from the previous lambda (using the Lag() function) to set the sequence to 0.
  • It also uses Lag() to get the value of the sequence in the previous row and adds the difference in the time values between the current and previous rows.

I hope this helps clarify and provide a good direction.

-Jeff
aliegner1
Level IV

Re: Help doing a table transform and converting a timestamp?

Thank you Jeff. Your input on that final equation is great and removes the worry about a run that crosses midnight.