cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Having trouble running a Gage R&R study due to an error message

Hi everyone,

I'm new to JMP and currently using version 17 on Windows.

I'm trying to conduct a Gage R&R study by going to Analyze > Quality and Process > Measurement Systems Analysis and selecting Gage Analysis for Measurements. However, when I right-click on the title row and choose Gage R&R, I get the following error message:

"Continuous scale group column cannot be used as a random effect."

I would appreciate any advice on how to resolve this issue.

I apologize if there are any unusual expressions in this text, as it was generated by AI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Having trouble running a Gage R&R study due to an error message

Hi @RandomWeasel541,

@Ben_BarrIngh gave you a great explanation about the error message you have received. Using a continuous variable as "X, Grouping" section of the MSA platform may not make any sense, as you could end up having a lot of different groups with no repetitions, preventing from analyzing the repeatability and/or reproducibility of your experimental process.

Instead of using directly this continuous variable as a grouping variable, you could :

• Transform it into a discrete numeric/nominal/ordinal variable if the number of levels is low enought to enable the estimation of repeatability and/or reproductibility of your process in the MSA platform,
  • Create a binning formula of your continuous variable to reduce the number of possible levels to only few ordered ordinal/nominal levels.

Hope these suggestions make sense for your process,

Victor GUILLER
Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @RandomWeasel541 ,

Generally, random effects are modelled as categorical variables, whereas continuous are fixed effects (limited to the process you are measuring). I assume that you are trying to apply a continuous variable in the 'X Grouping' section of the MSA platform? Could you provide more details?

If you have mixed effects, you may want to consider a Mixed Model approach.

By the way, if you are using AI for translation, the community page will automatically translate languages for you

Thanks,

Ben

“All models are wrong, but some are useful”
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @RandomWeasel541,

@Ben_BarrIngh gave you a great explanation about the error message you have received. Using a continuous variable as "X, Grouping" section of the MSA platform may not make any sense, as you could end up having a lot of different groups with no repetitions, preventing from analyzing the repeatability and/or reproducibility of your experimental process.

Instead of using directly this continuous variable as a grouping variable, you could :

• Transform it into a discrete numeric/nominal/ordinal variable if the number of levels is low enought to enable the estimation of repeatability and/or reproductibility of your process in the MSA platform,
  • Create a binning formula of your continuous variable to reduce the number of possible levels to only few ordered ordinal/nominal levels.

Hope these suggestions make sense for your process,

Victor GUILLER
Data & Analytics

Hi @Victor_G, @ben_Barrlngh,

Thank you for your proposal. Your solution was very helpful in resolving GR&R.

I appreciate your efforts on this matter.

Best regards,

Koki