cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Has anyone tried out process history explorer ? Is it useful ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Has anyone tried out process history explorer ? Is it useful ?

@XiangCD_MP_User ,

Hello. I started, but haven't finished a blog with the goal to demonstrate the usefulness of Process History Explorer.

A large portion of my experience is with semiconductor manufacturing.  One excurison that is trivial to find with this platform is a scenario where a tool or chamber is adding defects, a metrology tool, or clean station, etc.  A manufacturing process (or production line) often uses a tool for multiple steps.  If a batch (lot) of materials never use that tool, it will not have the hunted defect. However, that defect count will be larger the more times the bad tool is used.  This can be trivially found using Process History.

If you have not read through the JMP documentation examples, I recommend you do so.   It finds patterns of tool usage, period of time, tool-time periods that might be the culprits of differing/unexpected results.  These types of patterns can be found with other analyses, tree based and feature set analyses, SVM (support vector machines), etc. IMO, by specifying the required fields in this platform, JMP must be doing the internal data reorganizing to perform specific analyses, trying to answer common process questions. Thus, this platform saves the user a lot of time, if the pattern you are looking for is one that this platform tries to find, and your data table has relevant information.

Your question has motivated me to find time to finish my write-up.     Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@XiangCD_MP_User ,

Hello. I started, but haven't finished a blog with the goal to demonstrate the usefulness of Process History Explorer.

A large portion of my experience is with semiconductor manufacturing.  One excurison that is trivial to find with this platform is a scenario where a tool or chamber is adding defects, a metrology tool, or clean station, etc.  A manufacturing process (or production line) often uses a tool for multiple steps.  If a batch (lot) of materials never use that tool, it will not have the hunted defect. However, that defect count will be larger the more times the bad tool is used.  This can be trivially found using Process History.

If you have not read through the JMP documentation examples, I recommend you do so.   It finds patterns of tool usage, period of time, tool-time periods that might be the culprits of differing/unexpected results.  These types of patterns can be found with other analyses, tree based and feature set analyses, SVM (support vector machines), etc. IMO, by specifying the required fields in this platform, JMP must be doing the internal data reorganizing to perform specific analyses, trying to answer common process questions. Thus, this platform saves the user a lot of time, if the pattern you are looking for is one that this platform tries to find, and your data table has relevant information.

Your question has motivated me to find time to finish my write-up.     Good luck!

Thank you, @gzmorgan0 :)

I am from Semiconductor background and I take special interest in this (it caught my eyes while I was playing around with JMP functions last week). But I had some difficulties- trying to understand how this platform works and how should I interpret the data now. Thank you a lot for the brief introduction. I shall do my homework by reading up the examples.

Looking forward to hearing from you again about this in your blog soon. :)

CasperTsu
Level I

Hey guys,

I'm also from Semiconductor backgournd, and i very intersted in this function. But i took a around JMP community about this topic, and it was nothing could help me to understanding this.