cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
plfazeli
Level II

HELP--update function not bringing all values over despite 100% certainty I am matching

Hi--I am very familiar with the UPDATE function and use is often. I am trying to bring over a column of data from a new set into my master set. Both datsets have the SAME subject IDs (and same amount, N=110 in both).  When I update, it only brings over 52 of the values. The rest are missing and I am absolutely stumped because I know I used update correctly and matched correctly

3 REPLIES 3
jthi
Super User

Re: HELP--update function not bringing all values over despite 100% certainty I am matching

Without seeing the data I can only offer some guesses and suggestions.

You could try using Join (and possibly use full join also) to see what happens with that. Also you could order columns by the ID column in both tables, copy values over from one table to other into a new column and use some simple comparison formula to check that all values are same. Are both columns exactly same data/modeling type/format?

-Jarmo
txnelson
Super User

Re: HELP--update function not bringing all values over despite 100% certainty I am matching

You are not providing sufficient information for debugging,  What I suggest doing is to JOIN the data, not UPDATE and in the JOIN select the options to allow non matching records from both tables to be in the new data table.  Also select the option to create a Match Flag variable.  You will then see what records are not matching, and therefore not being brought across in your UPDATE

Jim
pmroz
Super User

I recently had a similar puzzling problem with update.  Turns out some of my match column values had leading spaces.  Check for leading and trailing spaces/tabs/etc.