cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jc510
Level I

Graph builder 200-point data limitation with nested x axis character variables

Ran into an issue today trying to create a plot with graph builder (JMP 14).

Y axis is from a column of continuous numeric data (200 total rows of data).  X axis has nominal character data "Run Index" that is ordered (ascending) by data in the date column (continuous numeric date data) by dropping that column above Run Index on the X axis.  When I add another nesting character variable "Run category" below Run Index on the x axis it looks like what you see in the attached image GB1.  So far, so good.

When I add one more row of data (201 total rows of data), the format of the plot changes as shown in attached image GB2.  The Run Index data collapses to a single item on the x-axis within each Run Category (looks like the last row in each Row Category).  You can still see all of the data points in that Run Category, but it's in more of a oneway format.

It's easily reversed by hiding any one row to give 200 rows total again.

I attached the data table used to generate the plots in the images (this one has 220 rows, so you would have to hide 19 or 20 at a time to toggle the effect).

Anyone seen anything like this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph builder 200-point data limitation with nested x axis character variables

I replicated your finding in JMP 14.  Apparently somebody at JMP also saw the issue, because it has been corrected in JMP 15.

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph builder 200-point data limitation with nested x axis character variables

I replicated your finding in JMP 14.  Apparently somebody at JMP also saw the issue, because it has been corrected in JMP 15.

Jim
jc510
Level I

Oh no!  I guess I'll have to figure out how to update to 15 (we have all sorts of IT hoops to jump though at my company).

But thank you for figuring that out so quickly Jim!

Joel

txnelson
Super User

My suggestion, coming from when I was in a corporate environment, get them to go to an annual license. Then they can have a annual budget item they can rely on, and all upgrades are provided as they are released.
Jim
jc510
Level I

We do have annual licenses here - and like you said, my understanding was that in that scenario you can update at will.

The real problem is our heavily locked down IT environment.  It may take weeks before I can figure out and get through the required red tape to access and be allowed to install the update :)

txnelson
Super User

I understand that situation too......well good luck on wondering through that maze
Jim