cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
amzipkin
Level I

Graph a parallel plot using means and showing standard dev for each x variable

Good afternoon all; I'm pretty new to JMP and am most familiar with using it for multivariate (particularly canonical discriminant) analysis of geochemical data.  I'm running into an obstacle to visualizing some data as a parallel plot.  I have a dataset containing about 45 rock samples for each of which I measured the concentration of about 30 elements. The samples come from three different rock formations.  I have already run discriminant analysis to determine which elements are best at separating the three rock formations but I want to try and visualize this as a parallel plot.  I have tried graphing all of the samples and elements on a single parallel plot (elements on x, element concentrations on y, each line color coded by which formation the sample belongs to), or one three graphs (one for each rock formation) but this is still a bit cluttered looking.

What I would like to do is create a single parallel plot that shows the mean value for each element for each rock formation (with rock formations color coded), with a standard deviation bar for each of those points.  So, each element on the x axis would have three points, a mean for that element for each rock formation. This would help visualize for my collaborators which elements overlap in concentration across formations and are thus not useful for distinguishing among the formations.  Is there a straightforward way to do this in JMP 12?

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Graph a parallel plot using means and showing standard dev for each x variable

I have attached a screen recording of a couple of views after reading how the way that you describe your data.

amzipkin
Level I

Re: Graph a parallel plot using means and showing standard dev for each x variable

Hi Lou, this is more what I am going for.  This parallel plot show the concentrations of elements in individual rock samples (each blue line) from a single volcano on a log scale.  What I want to do is create a parallel plot with a single line just showing the mean value for each element and standard deviation error bars.  Is there are to do that using the parallel plot option in JMP or another part of the graphing menu?  Thanks!

10228_Parallel Plot of Element Concentrations, Samples, Eburru Volcanic Complex.PNG

louv
Staff (Retired)

I stacked the data and then used graph builder to obtain this

10230_Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 7.52.42 PM.png

10231_Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 8.18.35 PM.png