cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
john_madden
Level VI

Graph Builder histogram question

I'm having trouble getting the display I want out of Graph Builder, and I'd like some help.

My data is a 3-level-categorical test result; the test is performed monthly.

• My result column is 1-byte integer, ordinal, with value labels (0 = "low", 1 = "medium", 2 = "high").
  • My time column is numeric, continuous, m/y format. (The test is perfomed once a month on the same calendar day each month.)

I would like to get a histogram graph where the x-axis is the month of the test, and the y-axis is the count of each result level. I would like one bar for each month, and I want the results to be stacked in that single bar, with each level is a different color. I don't want all the bars scaled to the same total height; I want the total height of the bar to be proportional to the total number of tests.

I thought this would be easy, but for some reason I can't quite get what I want. Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Graph Builder histogram question

Attached might be what you are looking for - execute the embedded script to see.  If this is what you want, I think your main problem was having month as a continuous variable, rather than nominal.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dale_lehman
Level VII

Attached might be what you are looking for - execute the embedded script to see.  If this is what you want, I think your main problem was having month as a continuous variable, rather than nominal.

john_madden
Level VI

Thanks, Dale! That worked -- and it even works with month being continuous.