Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
herbie226-2
Level I

Graph Builder - Generate Area Value for Area Graph Plot for the Range

Hello All, 

I plotted a data set using graph builder. The graph uses the Area Plot mode and overlays two lines. I want to collect the Area value for each graph and the area of range between the two plots. A sample image is attached. Any help is appreciated how to pull this value from this chart. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
herbie226-2
Level I

Re: Graph Builder - Generate Area Value for Area Graph Plot for the Range

If I can provide additional information, please ask. I simply want the area of the shaded region. I figured this was easy but could not find any options to generate a single value for that area. I can also provide a sample data set if necessay.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I had a similar question a few months ago. There is no built-in function to retrieve the Area Between the Curves.

Hence, you need to calculate the Area Under the Curve for each curve and subtract one from the other (see below)

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/JMP-gt-JSL-gt-Best-method-to-calculated-signed-Area-Under-t...

If you are inclined to do so, you could modify the script in the link above to extract the area between the curves directly.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Bonitatibus1
Level I

Hi TS,

Thanks for the link, but it's not clear how to execute step-by-step...looks like a bunch of code and no idea how to proceed?!?. I'm looking to compute areas of slices under this curve generated by x-y data; for example, the area from 80-90 along x,

or the area of 90-115 along x. Specific regions (slices or fractions) in x are of interest. I think this can be done relatively easily in Excel via ((y2+y1)/2)*(x2-x1) however JMP may provide a better solution.