cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vinkane
Level III

Frequently receive out of memory pop ups when working with a data table approx 4M rows. My Lenovo has 8GB ram

Unable to develop summary tables when using data tables in excess of 4M rows.

Frequently get pop up windows dealing with "Memory type issues"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
markschahl
Level V

Re: Frequently receive out of memory pop ups when working with a data table approx 4M rows. My Lenovo has 8GB ram

A basic question about your machine. What OS are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit? If you have a Win7 32-bit machine, it can only access 4GB, even though you may have 8GB installed. If this is the case, you will have to wipe the HD, install Win7 64-bit to access the the 8GB. I speak from experience... It was worth the pain to wipe HD and reinstall 64-bit versions of my software.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Eric_Hill
Staff

Re: Frequently receive out of memory pop ups when working with a data table approx 4M rows. My Lenovo has 8GB ram

How many columns per row, and what data types?  If each row requires ~1000 bytes, that would be 4GB.  Doing analysis on top of that, you could easily be pushing the boundaries of 8 GB.

Eric

vinkane
Level III

Eric:  Thanks for the reply. About 12 columns, dates, numeric and character type columns.

I'm not bugging IT for some more RAM

Eric_Hill
Staff

Okay, assuming your character columns are not quite large, it does seem surprising that you are running out of memory.  You may want to run this one through SAS Tech Support.

Are there some platforms that you can run on this data without running out of memory? Or have you only tried Tables > Summary?

Thanks,

Eric

vinkane
Level III

Yes, I have tried summary tables which I found that there was no summary table constructed and there was no log entry.

That was the original SAS issue I logged in.

markschahl
Level V

A basic question about your machine. What OS are you running? 32-bit or 64-bit? If you have a Win7 32-bit machine, it can only access 4GB, even though you may have 8GB installed. If this is the case, you will have to wipe the HD, install Win7 64-bit to access the the 8GB. I speak from experience... It was worth the pain to wipe HD and reinstall 64-bit versions of my software.

On a 32-bit machine, while the OS has access to 4GB JMP only has access to 2 GB.  So, there are serious constraints there.

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development

vinkane
Level III

Thanks for this insight. I'll try this suggestion with the help of IT

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

I get the same when working with scripts that include very long loops of huge tables simultaneously . in my case it turned out that if i send several messages to the same object it happens while sending each message separately and repeating the name of the object each time it doesn't happen at all.