cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
choufree
Level III

Frequent Computer freeze when using JMP

I have a macbook with 16G memory. While I have come across freezing problem when using JMP for graph building. I closed all the other application and restart it. I still have the same problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Frequent Computer freeze when using JMP

Hi @choufree,

Ian's suggestion is a good one, but if I might ask... in your screenshot it looks as though you are dragging columns A5 through A12 to the "Group X" role in graph builder when this crash occurred. Is that right?  If that operation would have worked, you would have groupings of the X based on every unique combination of values occurring in those eight variables among your 112 rows. At the upper limit (assuming no repeats) that's 112^8, or about 2.5 x 10^16 grouping of the X axis. Processing the display of something like that seems like more than enough to eat up your 16gb of ram. 

Julian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
choufree
Level III

This is warning windowScreen Shot 2017-05-12 at 2.26.52 PM.png

ian_jmp
Staff

You appear to only have a small table open. Please send an email to support@jmp.com describing your problem. They will probably need more details.

julian

Hi @choufree,

Ian's suggestion is a good one, but if I might ask... in your screenshot it looks as though you are dragging columns A5 through A12 to the "Group X" role in graph builder when this crash occurred. Is that right?  If that operation would have worked, you would have groupings of the X based on every unique combination of values occurring in those eight variables among your 112 rows. At the upper limit (assuming no repeats) that's 112^8, or about 2.5 x 10^16 grouping of the X axis. Processing the display of something like that seems like more than enough to eat up your 16gb of ram. 

Julian

choufree
Level III

Thanks for the explanation. I think I meant to drag them into wrap but always go through group X. Due to such large number of figures, it freezes.

julian

I completely understand -- it's wonderful that Graph Builder automatically updates the display when dragging columns over a particular role; but, sometimes that's problematic, as in your case when you have many columns you're trying to drop in a different role. In situations like these, what I like to do is select the columns in the column list, but rather than drag the columns to a particular role, I simply click the role name. As far as Graph Builder is concerned that is the same as dragging the columns to that role.

Hope this helps!

Julian