cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jimq
Level I

Fractional factorial with 3-level factors

I have a product mix with three components I am trying to minimize while maximizing my response. I have one response and four continuous factors. 3 of the factors are components of the product and the fourth factor is the starting temperature of the test that yields the response.

I would like to perform a fractional factorial rather than the full factorial method. I want all four factors to have three levels but reduce the number of trials from 81. A Screening design only allows 2-level factors. A Taguchi design allows 3-level factors but doesn't seem to be the right modeling method for my project.

Can a 3x3x3x3 fractional factorial be done using JMP6 or JMP7 to do this?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Fractional factorial with 3-level factors

If the three components as you mention are truly components in a formulation then I would simply use the Custom Design capability in JMP to set up a 4 factor design where the first three factors are mixture components and the 4th factor is a continuous factor = Temperature. Adding the interactions to the model and specifying some center points (N=3) the number of runs required would only be 15. By treating this as a two level design with center points you get your three levels as you desired.

View solution in original post

In JMP5, the answer is YES, you can get a fractional factorial of a 3**4 design (so I assume later versions of JMP can do this also).

The fractional factorial you are interested in is indeed the Taguchi 9-run design or the Taguchi 27-run design. These are identical to a standard fractional factorial. No difference. Go ahead, use it without qualms.

I also point out that a central composite design (response surface design) often has better statistical properties than the fractional factorial of a 3**4, and usually involves fewer runs as well.

Message was edited by: Paige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
louv
Staff (Retired)

If the three components as you mention are truly components in a formulation then I would simply use the Custom Design capability in JMP to set up a 4 factor design where the first three factors are mixture components and the 4th factor is a continuous factor = Temperature. Adding the interactions to the model and specifying some center points (N=3) the number of runs required would only be 15. By treating this as a two level design with center points you get your three levels as you desired.

In JMP5, the answer is YES, you can get a fractional factorial of a 3**4 design (so I assume later versions of JMP can do this also).

The fractional factorial you are interested in is indeed the Taguchi 9-run design or the Taguchi 27-run design. These are identical to a standard fractional factorial. No difference. Go ahead, use it without qualms.

I also point out that a central composite design (response surface design) often has better statistical properties than the fractional factorial of a 3**4, and usually involves fewer runs as well.

Message was edited by: Paige
jimq
Level I

Thank you Lou and Paige. I will try them out.