Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A_Zaid
Level III

Floating data filter in dashboard frame

Hello JMP Community,

I was wondering if there is a way of making a data filter (that's embedded in a dashboard) float such that it always remains in frame? I made an add-in that creates a dashboard with a vertical stack of graphs on the right and a data filter on the left. When I scroll to the bottom of the dashboard and want to use the data filter to inspect the graphs there, I have to repeatedly scroll back up and then back down which isn't ideal in the long run. I am aware that I could just add a data filter for every so and so rows of graphs if I want to, or use Row > Data Filter, but a data filter that floats on a predetermined column on the left whilst otherwise remaining embedded would be an elegant solution if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Ahmed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Floating data filter in dashboard frame

Hi Ahmed - we have had requests for "sticky" filter layouts (and similarly for Column Switcher as well).  One workaround is to put the filter and reports in separate ScrollBox() containers.  In this example I made the boxes scroll in the vertical direction only.  If you have very wide reports, the second ScrollBox may need to scroll in both directions.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
New Window( "scroll filter",
	Data Filter Context Box(
		H List Box(
			V Scroll Box(
				Size( 500 ),
				<<Set Auto Stretching( 1, 1 ),
				dt << Data Filter( Local, Add Filter( columns( :sex ), Where( :sex == "F" ) ) )
			),
			V Scroll Box(
				Size( 500 ),
				V List Box(
					dt << Run Script( "Bivariate" ),
					dt << Run Script( "Logistic" ),
					dt << Run Script( "Distribution" )
				)
			)
		)
	)
);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I don't think so, but @danschikore will know for sure. If there's not it would make a good entry on the JMP Wish List.

-Jeff

Hi Ahmed - we have had requests for "sticky" filter layouts (and similarly for Column Switcher as well).  One workaround is to put the filter and reports in separate ScrollBox() containers.  In this example I made the boxes scroll in the vertical direction only.  If you have very wide reports, the second ScrollBox may need to scroll in both directions.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
New Window( "scroll filter",
	Data Filter Context Box(
		H List Box(
			V Scroll Box(
				Size( 500 ),
				dt << Data Filter( Local, Add Filter( columns( :sex ), Where( :sex == "F" ) ) )
			),
			V Scroll Box(
				Size( 500 ),
				V List Box(
					dt << Run Script( "Bivariate" ),
					dt << Run Script( "Logistic" ),
					dt << Run Script( "Distribution" )
				)
			)
		)
	)
);
A_Zaid
Level III

Hi Dan, this is a great workaround! I'll try to implement in my add-in code and see how it goes. Thank you!

Also, thank you Jeff (@Jeff_Perkinson) for linking Dan and bringing the JMP Wish List to my awareness!

Best to both of you,

Ahmed