cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Fit Y by X, is it possible to color the boxes in a Box Plot by a column? What about Graph Builder?

In the Fit Y by x Platform, is it possible to color the boxes by a cloumn?  For example, I have a plot of machine efficiencies (y-axis) against the month/year (x-axis) and would like to have different colors for the boxes by year;  2011 - red, 2012 - blue, etc  I have tried several things, but cannot get the colors.

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Box Plots - Color

If you don't need other features of Fit Y by X than box plots, you could try Graph Builder where box plots can be colored by a variable dragged to the Overlay Role.

Try the example code below. (The code demonstrates PMroz tip about the date format, but in my localization "m/y" has to be typed like "m-y".)

dt = New Table("example",

add rows(360),

New Column("date",

Numeric,

Format("m-y", 7),

formula(Date Increment(Informat("1-2009", "m-y"), "month", Mod(Row() - 1, 36)))

),

New Column("data", numeric, formula(Random Uniform())),

New Column("year", nominal, formula(Year(:date)))

);

dt << Graph Builder(Variables(X(:date), Y(:data), Overlay(:year)), Elements(Box Plot(X, Y, Legend(7))));

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
louv
Staff (Retired)

8852_Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 4.44.24 PM.png

Not sure if this is what you meant but I just right clicked and customized the graph to color the box plot.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

That does not seem to be working for me at all.  Besides, I have 72 boxes (12 months by 6 years).  Seems to me I should be able to color the boxes by year.  Another issue I am having.  I can't find the right format for my "Month" column to make the chart plot the months by time order instead of alphabetical order.  I am getting Apr-01, Apr-02, Apr-03, etc. instead of Jan-01, Feb-01, Mar-01, etc.  I know I can use the value order function in column prop[erties, but what a tedious task!  Any suggestions?

Steve
pmroz
Super User

Two suggestions:

1. Use a format that will sort alphabetically, such as 2015-01, 2015-02, 2015-03 etc.

2. Convert your month column to a numeric, and set the format to "m/y".

Can you give us a flavor of what your data looks like? 

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

If you don't need other features of Fit Y by X than box plots, you could try Graph Builder where box plots can be colored by a variable dragged to the Overlay Role.

Try the example code below. (The code demonstrates PMroz tip about the date format, but in my localization "m/y" has to be typed like "m-y".)

dt = New Table("example",

add rows(360),

New Column("date",

Numeric,

Format("m-y", 7),

formula(Date Increment(Informat("1-2009", "m-y"), "month", Mod(Row() - 1, 36)))

),

New Column("data", numeric, formula(Random Uniform())),

New Column("year", nominal, formula(Year(:date)))

);

dt << Graph Builder(Variables(X(:date), Y(:data), Overlay(:year)), Elements(Box Plot(X, Y, Legend(7))));