Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ben1
Level I

First time using JMP

Hi guys,

For my master thesis, i am working on pupil diamanter measurement and my supervisor told me to install JMP Pro and she took one of my trial participants and cleaned up the raw data.

However, she wouldn't be able to meet me for some time and asked me to clean up the data like she has. The issue is that I never tried the program before. Now some of it makes sense with regards to deleting the columns, but for instance the blue things she has added, I don't know how she has done it, so perhaps anyone can help me, so i can start moving into the actual statistical analysis.

The first picture is the raw data, and the second part is the cleaned up version.

I can also send the two files, if need be.

Kind regards,
Ben

FWBsZL8.jpeg

joOrk8C.jpeg

d9uj228.jpeg

NOD33kh.jpeg

   

12 REPLIES 12
txnelson
Super User

Re: First time using JMP

I suggest that you start by reading the document "Discovering JMP" which is under the Help pull down menu.

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

In particular, read about modeling types and formulas. It looks like you are already using them. Assigning the correct modeling type (continuous, ordinal, nominal) to a column will help when you choose an analysis platform. Making new columns as a formula of existing columns can simplify your work.

There is also a hidden column, with a mask.There is also a hidden column, with a mask.

Craige
dale_lehman
Level VII

I have to say that questions like this make me lament what passes for instruction these days.  Your instructor offers no guidance other than "here's an example, you figure it out."  That's not teaching.  He/she doesn't need to tell you how to do it, but this is the other extreme - who needs an instructor that just tells you to figure it out.  Did they need a PhD to do that?

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @Ben1 ,

@dale_lehman is right, you are learning the old fashion (hard) way. Thrown into the water and now it is sink or swim. Some teachers used to take pride in this method.

If you are asking for personal guidance send me a PM. instead of going through the whole book i can show you the exact features you need in a call.

Ben1
Level I

Hello guys,

I can say i found out how to make them blue (numerical - continuous)

However, when I do that for some values, it just turns it into a black dot.

It strangely doesn't do it in the timestamp values but for the others it do.

I then try to change the columns back to normal, but then the numbers previously just disappear?

nobPAWT.jpeg

iWWzY1t.jpeg

Z3YTuxV.jpeg

   

txnelson
Super User

JMP converts cells to missing values (the dots you are seeing), when the values in the cell can not be converted to a valid number.

You indicated that you could attach the files if necessary.  That would be very helpful

Jim
Ben1
Level I

Okay, So here are the files:

The trial Ben file is the "cleaned-up" data, which is what my master supervisor wants me to do.

The M30 file is my attempt of doing, what she did:

Other than that, she also made GRAPH on the top left corner, so if anyone could tell me how it is done, I would be appreciative.

And yes, it does suck when you are thrown in to that kind of water, because my turn-in is on the 15th of September, and I'm gonna meet her on Wednesday, so I would like to have all my participant data cleaned up before Wednesday (23 participants). The good thing though, once you can clean one participant's data, you can clean the others as well.

After the data is cleaned, I am probably gonna have to do a  anova analysis and a statistical analysis like this:

I am super thankful for the help, i receive from you guys. You are helping out a desperate master thesis student.

Skærmbillede 2021-08-23 kl. 18.06.10.png

txnelson
Super User

HAVE YOU READ THE EXPLORING JMP DOCUMENTATION! The Discussion Forum is here to help you, "help-yourself".

Would you happen to be able to attach the raw data.  Given the table as you have processed it in JMP, there does not seem to be any issues.

Jim
Ben1
Level I

This is the raw data file, as you requested.