cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pankajet
Level I

Find Min and Max from multiple columns ( Same name of colums)

Hello,

I have huge data in excel and it has multiple columes with same name ( this is format i get from tester). And i would like to calculate min, max, stdev and mean from all columes. 

I tried to open data in JMP but JMP remanes the colume name to ( Av, Av1, Av2, Av3.......) and then if i use tabulate it shows min, max for Av, Av1, Av2.... etc., but i wanted min and max for all ( Av, Av1, Av3, ...). 

Pls help. Attached raw data for. image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Find Min and Max from multiple columns ( Same name of colums)

All of what I am going to show you below is covered in the Using JMP book

Help==>Books==>Using JMP

What needs to be done is to create a new column in your data table, and apply a formula to the column. 

1. Open the stacked data table and click on the red triangle in the column area above the row state column.  Select "New Column"

nc1.PNG

2. The Column Info window will open.  Change the name of the new column to whatever you want(I chose "Label 2").  Also change the Modeling Type to "Character"

nc2.PNG

3. Click on OK and then Right Click on the header area of the new column and select "Formula"

nc3.PNG

4. In the formula editor, double click on the box titled "No Formula"

nc4.PNG

5. Rather than doing the point and click formula building that we could do, with this simple formula, we just need to type it into the box

nc5.PNG

6. Once the typing is done, just click on OK or Apply and the formula will generate the new values

nc6.PNG

You can now use this new column in your Tabulate Platform

Jim

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ian_jmp
Staff

Try using 'Tables > Stack' before doing the tabulation.

pankajet
Level I

I didn't get fully. 

What i tried 'table > stack" but still see A1, A2, A3.... etc.. Hence tabulate still not doing over all min and max.

ian_jmp
Staff

You will have to take more care in reading the XLSX, but if you put it on the Desktop, the script below gives the idea.

NamesDefaultToHere(1);
// Put the .xlsx on the Desktop and open it
dt = Open("$DESKTOP//Char Summary_web.xlsx");
// Just use the first few columns as a demonstration
dt << deleteColumns(17::NCol(dt));
// Stack the data
dt2 = dt << Stack(
	columns(
		:ZA 2,
		:ZA 3,
		:ZA 4,
		:ZA 5,
		:ZA 6,
		:ZA 7,
		:ZA 8,
		:ZA 9,
		:ZA 10,
		:ZA 11,
		:ZA 12,
		:ZA 13,
		:ZA 14
	),
	Source Label Column( "Label" ),
	Stacked Data Column( "Data" ),
	OutputTable((dt << getName)||" Stacked")
);
// Use Tabulate
dt2 << Tabulate(
				Show Control Panel( 0 ),
				Add Table(
					Column Table( Analysis Columns( :Data ), Statistics( Mean, Std Dev ) ),
					Row Table( Grouping Columns( :wafer ) )
				)
			);
pankajet
Level I

Super.. It worked half way.. I have multiple parameters... Av1, Av2.... and FIMO, FIMO2, ....which needs to be seperated as well. The current script stack everything but doen't decode label to original names

image.png

ian_jmp
Staff

The JMP platforms in JMP are very functional, and that's true for 'Tables > Stck' too. The documentation is generally good, and if not, you can suggest how it could be improved.

Take a look at the Multiple Series Stack option.

pankajet
Level I

You didn't get me. My problem label still has A, A10, A11, A12, ... I want min and max from all Av.. A10....

Pls help. 

image.png

txnelson
Super User

Just don't drag the column called Label to the Tabulate Platform.  Just drag the column called Data.  Dragging the Label column is forcing the agragation.

Jim
pankajet
Level I

Sorry, I didn't get. Pls show me. I have attahced stackd file. You will see many lables Av, A10, .... I want min and max from Av.xx lable. Similarity from all other labels 

image.png

txnelson
Super User

Is this what you are looking for?

tabulate.jpg

If it is, all I did was to add a new column to your stacked data table, calling it "New Label" and specifying a formula for the column as:

Word(1, :Label, " ")

The interpretation of the formula is to look at the "Label" column, and take the first Word from that column, where the delimiter is based upon blanks, " "

Jim