Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RONS
Level I

Factors under Response Surface Design

Hello Team, 

Am new to JMP. See below the extract, under values (circled red) which kind of factors values do we put to replace the -1 and 1?

RONS_0-1709760069259.png

I will be waiting for response from some one. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Factors under Response Surface Design

Hi @RONS,

Welcome in the Community !

By default when you create a design, the factors are added with their coded levels, meaning the low level is at -1 and the high level is at +1. Of course, feel free to change the names of the factors and the values/ranges for each of them, by changing each -1 with the low value for each factor's range, and each +1 with the high value for each factor's range.

The coding done on the factors values in Design of Experiments is here for several reasons :

• to help compare different factors with various ranges size (else keeping the original values and ranges will make the comparison of effects really more difficult, if not impossible in certain cases),
  • to reduce multicollinearity in models when including interactions and higher order terms (polynomials are also centered beside the -1/+1 scaling).

You can find more infos about it in the JMP Help section about Coding

Are you familiar with DoE already ?

If not, you can find a lot of interesting ressources to get started here : https://community.jmp.com/t5/Design-of-Experiments-Club/DoE-Resources/m-p/635455

Hope this answer will help you get started !

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @RONS,

Welcome in the Community !

By default when you create a design, the factors are added with their coded levels, meaning the low level is at -1 and the high level is at +1. Of course, feel free to change the names of the factors and the values/ranges for each of them, by changing each -1 with the low value for each factor's range, and each +1 with the high value for each factor's range.

The coding done on the factors values in Design of Experiments is here for several reasons :

• to help compare different factors with various ranges size (else keeping the original values and ranges will make the comparison of effects really more difficult, if not impossible in certain cases),
  • to reduce multicollinearity in models when including interactions and higher order terms (polynomials are also centered beside the -1/+1 scaling).

You can find more infos about it in the JMP Help section about Coding

Are you familiar with DoE already ?

If not, you can find a lot of interesting ressources to get started here : https://community.jmp.com/t5/Design-of-Experiments-Club/DoE-Resources/m-p/635455

Hope this answer will help you get started !

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
RONS
Level I

Thanks Victor. This has answered my question.  Thanks also for the information to familiarize myself more with JMP.

Paul