cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MSWes
Level I

Exporting "Recent Files" for migration to new computer

Hello, I have a user that got a new computer but is upset because her "recent files" when she opens JMP is empty. I still have access to her old computer. Is there a way to export and import these files? I did a google search and there was mention of exporting a registry entry but I could not find the SAS Institute Inc. folder they mentioned in that discussion...

Migrating to new system // List of pinned files 

Thanks for any help!

-Wes

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Exporting "Recent Files" for migration to new computer

I used this in the FileSnapper  addin, the location worked for me on JMP 14 and 15 and probably 16 when released.

temp=runprogram(executable("reg"),options({"query","\["HKCU\Software\SAS Institute Inc.\JMP\Recent\Files"]\"}),readfunction("text"));

I think you can make regedit export that node on the old computer and import it on the new one. You won't need the JSL, just the HKCU bit.

@jschroedl 

Craige
jschroedl
Staff

Re: Exporting "Recent Files" for migration to new computer

JMP shares the Recent Files list across JMP versions and they are stored per-user under this key:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAS Institute Inc.\JMP\Recent\Files

Here is a picture from my machine.  Be sure you check the registry when logged in as her userid since they are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and the userid matters.

jschroedl_0-1612278982528.png

So you ought to be able to login to the old PC as her userid, run regedit and rigt-click Export on the "Files" folder (if you can find it). And have her import the file into her new machine.

John