cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DMR
DMR
Level V

Exporting a JMP Data Table in JSON Format

Hi,
I've been asked whether it's possible for JMP to export a data table in JSON format, where everything contained within that data table - including all table properties and formulae - can be exported in such a way that it can be retrieved (if necessary by coding in another language) by someone else who doesn't necessarily have access to JMP. I've already taken a look at the post below on this forum from two years ago, and concluded that even if it can be done, it's probably not a trivial task:  
This was however posted two years ago, and it occurred to me that somebody might have written a script in the meantime to provide a means of selectively choosing what types of properties to include, e.g. table variables, column formulae, column parameters for nonlinear optimization, row colors and/or symbols, column groupings etc - and if so, I could learn a lot from it. Does anyone have anything they could share?
Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Exporting a JMP Data Table in JSON Format

You can select File > Save As and select JSON as the format. The data is saved, consistent with exporting JMP data tables to other formats such as .XLSX. JMP formula have no meaning to other software. Same is true for table variables and scripts, and data column attributes and properties. I am using JMP 15. That might be the first version with this capability, but someone might know better than me.

DMR
DMR
Level V

Hi Mark,
Just to clarify, I appreciate that the metadata may not usable by other software, but it could potentially still incorporate information that a user might want to retrieve. In this particular instance, the user would like to be able to extract information such as the owner, the original creation date and the file location of the spreadsheet that was originally imported into JMP (and we have an assortment of JSL scripts that automatically store such information as table variables when the JMP table is initially created). Another example would be data sets that incorporate fitted models: in such cases the final set of parameter estimates would need to be retrievable at some point in the future, even though the person who wants to retrieve them doesn't actually want to run the model (and indeed without JMP they obviously wouldn't be able to anyway).
I take it for granted that actually extracting such metadata would require coding in whatever other language or package was being used at the time - but unless the JSON file did actually contain it somewhere, then obviously it wouldn't be possible. If it can't actually be stored anyway, I'll probably need to change the way I store it - for example by creating additional columns to contain it within the main body of the table.

Many thanks for your help on this.

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Given that most or all of the ancillary info would need to be interpreted by whatever is reading the JSON file, could you just export the table script, or table script without data, and let the other system parse that?  You could script saving the table data in JSON format and then adding an element containing the table script.  This is not exactly what you are asking for, but maybe a step closer..

stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @DMR ,

Although not JSON format perhaps you could use the Table Attributes Add-In which allows one to pass the items you seek as an Excel workbook.

Have a look to see if this gets you closer to your goal.

cheers,

Stan

nascif_jmp
Level VI

"(and indeed without JMP they obviously wouldn't be able to anyway)."

If you have access to JMP Pro, you can export models (and formula columns) to the Formula Depot from where they can be converted to multiple languages, including JavaScript, C and Python. That opens the doors for the deployment and execution of JMP models in different environments.

Please see https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/generating-scoring-code-from-the-formu...