cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
billi
Level V

Effect summary- blue line significance

In effect summaries why blue line signifies significance is set at 0.01 not at 0.05? Is there an option to change it? Even if I select 'set alpha level' from red hotspot it did not change my results. Can anyone please explain this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Effect summary- blue line significance

The blue line is drawn at 0.10, not 0.01 as you typed in your original discussion question. This line signifies the setting of the false discovery rate. In lay terms, the false discovery rate is a rate at which you can assess significance of effects that is especially useful when you are estimating lots of effects. It kind of guards against discovering falsely significant effects. The fdr method is contained in lots of JMP modeling methods. Here's a link to the JMP online documentation containing more details and a reference:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/interactive-effect-summary.shtml#1534569

billi
Level V

Thank you Bartell for your response. I wrote 0.01 after reading the same page that you referenced. This line is from the same JMP documentation:- A value that exceeds 2 is significant at the 0.01 level (because -log10 (0.01)=2)).

Please correct me if I am wrong, bars (model effects) not crossing the blue lines are not significant. So the significance level is 0.01 here right?

P_Bartell
Level VIII

I will not say or ever use the two words 'statistical significance' together in talking about an effect as to having those properties. This is a matter of my personal and professional choice. There is lots of debate on those two words in the statistical inference construct...that I won't elaborate on here in this Forum. What I will talk about is the p- value and what it's interpretation. The documentation refers to the Logworth value of 2 corresponding to a p-value of 0.01. The blue line in the effect summary visualization is by default drawn at the p-value of 0.10. Whether or not an effect bar crosses that line depends on the Logworth value, and as such corresponding p value. It is left up to the individual interpreter to decide the question of 'statistical significance'.

MiBo
Level III

Did you ever get an answer to your question about changing the value where the blue line is plotted in the Effect Summary?

You may not change the blue line in this plot after the plot is made. You can set a line anywhere you like when you instantiate this display box, but you can't change one afterward.

Names Default To Here( 1 );

// make example
New Window( "Example",
	Outline Box( "Blue Line Where I Want",
		pcb = Plot Col Box( "Probability", {25, 45, 5, 10, 10, 5} )
	)
);

// add line (same lower limit for all elements)
pcb << Lower( [ 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 ] );