cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Alicia
Level III

EMP Gauge R&R - Reproducibility = 0%

Hi there!

I've ran EMP Gauge R&R and the results show the total variation coming from reproducibility is 0%. However, when I look at the data there are considerable differences in the measured variable of the same samples between operators so I can't understand how the reproducibility variation is 0%:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance,

Alicia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
statman
Super User

Re: EMP Gauge R&R - Reproducibility = 0%

First I added a column and called it measurement to represent the repeatability component of measurement precision (consecutive numbers 1-60). Then I analyzed your data using the JMP EMP (under Measurement System Analysis) and using Variability charts/control charts (attached document summarizes analysis).  To be honest, I don't know why the EMP platform gives 0% reproducibility other than the operator component is so small, perhaps it rounded it to 0? Perhaps a JMP representative can explain this? I suppose I'm old fashioned, but I do the analysis per Don Wheeler's recommendations, something I learned from him many years ago.  See Wheeler & Lyday:  "Evaluating the Measurement Process".

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Mauro_Gerber
Level IV

Hello Alicia
Can you please make a print screen of the input mask from the EMP platform?

"I thought about our dilemma, and I came up with a solution that I honestly think works out best for one of both of us"
- GLaDOS
Alicia
Level III

Hello Mauro,

Is this what you wanted to look at?

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alicia

statman
Super User

You need both operator and sample in the X grouping.  Could you attach your data set?  Did you do repeated measures for each sample/operator?  How would you estimate precision repeatability without that?  In which case you will have operator and sample crossed and repeated measures nested.

Alicia
Level III

Hi, please see data attached. Yes repeated measures was used - each operator A, B and C tested samples 1 - 10 twice. Thanks for your help in advance

statman
Super User

First I added a column and called it measurement to represent the repeatability component of measurement precision (consecutive numbers 1-60). Then I analyzed your data using the JMP EMP (under Measurement System Analysis) and using Variability charts/control charts (attached document summarizes analysis).  To be honest, I don't know why the EMP platform gives 0% reproducibility other than the operator component is so small, perhaps it rounded it to 0? Perhaps a JMP representative can explain this? I suppose I'm old fashioned, but I do the analysis per Don Wheeler's recommendations, something I learned from him many years ago.  See Wheeler & Lyday:  "Evaluating the Measurement Process".

Alicia
Level III

Thank you so much for the helpful replies! This makes sense to me now. Really appreciated!

The Operator variance component is negative and has therefore been set to 0.  You can see this via Fit Model.  

Fit Model(
	Y( :Impact Strength ),
	Effects,
	Random Effects( :Sample, :Operator, :Sample * :Operator ),
	NoBounds( 1 ),
	Personality( "Standard Least Squares" ),
	Method( "REML" ),
	Emphasis( "Minimal Report" ),
	Run(
		:Impact Strength << {Summary of Fit( 1 ), Analysis of Variance( 0 ), Parameter Estimates( 1 ),
		Scaled Estimates( 0 ), Plot Actual by Predicted( 0 ), Plot Regression( 0 ),
		Plot Residual by Predicted( 0 ), Plot Studentized Residuals( 0 ), Plot Effect Leverage( 0 ),
		Plot Residual by Normal Quantiles( 0 )}
	)
);

The reproducibility value given in the EMP Gauge R&R Results report does not include interactions and negative variance components are set to zero.

statman
Super User

OK, that makes sense.  Negative REML...That is why JMP switched to Bayesian estimates...

Alicia
Level III

Many thanks for the script... really helpful!