cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jyedlinski1
Level I

During Join: Unable to allocate enough memory error message

When joining tables, get "Unable to allocate enough memory" error or "Join failed".  IT told me to ask JMP what to do.  Many Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: During Join: Unable to allocate enough memory error message

If in fact insufficient RAM is the culprit, one technique you might want to try, if you are running JMP 13, is JMP 13's Virtual Join capability. One of the attractive design features of this capability is to reduce the memory footprint of two or more JMP data tables that are required for some analysis purpose. Here's a link to the JMP online documentation for the Virtual Join capability:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/13-2/Virtually_Join_Data_Tables.shtml

View solution in original post

Craige_Hales
Super User

make sure you are not doing a cartesian join, which would make nrows(a)*nrows(b) rows.

Craige

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Hi, jyedlinski1!

It sounds to me like you need more memory in your computer, but some more information might be helpful.

What type of join are you trying to perform?  How big a table (rows and columns) are you trying to join to how big a table?  How much memory do you currently have?  What version of JMP?  What OS?  

I would also recommend submitting your question to JMP Support.

jyedlinski1
Level I

Thanks!

Table A: 118 MB, Rows=221341, Col=39

Table B: 146 MB, Rows=236758, Col=45

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

If in fact insufficient RAM is the culprit, one technique you might want to try, if you are running JMP 13, is JMP 13's Virtual Join capability. One of the attractive design features of this capability is to reduce the memory footprint of two or more JMP data tables that are required for some analysis purpose. Here's a link to the JMP online documentation for the Virtual Join capability:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/13-2/Virtually_Join_Data_Tables.shtml

Craige_Hales
Super User

make sure you are not doing a cartesian join, which would make nrows(a)*nrows(b) rows.

Craige