cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
anne_sa
Level VI

Distribution: how setting a maximum value for the bin?

Hello everybody,

I have a continuous variable with values between 0 and 100.

When I look at the Distribution platform, the last bin corresponds to the range [100 ; 110[ With this graphical representation we can believe that there are values higher than 100.

Capture.JPG

How can we change the axis settings so that the last bin would be [90 ; 100] ? I tried to change the maximum value but it doesn't fix the problem...

Thanks in advance for you help!

6 REPLIES 6
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Distribution: how setting a maximum value for the bin?

You can set the bin width, but I don't think there is any way you can customize where the bin limits begin and end.  The problem here is that the values that fall in the second to last bin would be written [90, 100), and the last bin would be [100,110).  The upper limit is non-inclusive, and there's no way to change that.

An easy, klugey fix would be to subtract a really, really small number off your data points so that the 100 becomes 99.9999999 or something similar.  Here's an example where I only subtracted off of the values equal to 100 in a new column I called X_modified.  You see the histogram for the original column X (contains random uniform(0,100) values rounded to integers).HistogramProblem.PNG

Originally, the Quantiles table for X_modified showed the max value = 99.99999999.  I addressed that by reducing the the number of digits in the format for that column from 12 to 6.  You can change the format by double clicking on the column.

-- Cameron Willden
anne_sa
Level VI

Hello Cameron,

Thank you for your answer.

It is a bit tricky but indeed it is a way to solve the problem!

It requires to create and handle new columns each time we want to do that, but if no direct option exists it is a useful loophole.

Thanks for your input!

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

I created a data set to mimic yours. If I double click on the x-axis to get the axis dialog box I set the min = 0, max = 100, increment = 10, and #minor ticks to 0 to get bins of size 10 with the axis running from 0 to 100. You can also use the hand tool (one of my favorite tools for historgrams) to resize the bins (swipe up for more bins, down for fewer, left and right to change where bins start).

anne_sa
Level VI

Hello Karen,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I also tried to play with the axis settings, however if you set the min to 0 and the max to 100 it will just hide the last bin. If you use then the handle tool to change the scale of the axis the last bin appears. Did I miss something?
Image1.png

Regarding the second part of your answer, I was not aware about the fact that the hand tool can be used to change where bins start. Playing with that tool allows indeed to get something very close to the expected results. 

Capture.JPG

That is great to know, thanks!

txnelson
Super User

I think you may be able to get what you want by using a combination of Value Labels with ranges and the Hand Tool.  I set the Value Labels to the bins that I wanted, and then used the hand tool to move the scale and bins to what I wanted......see below

bins.PNGbins2.PNG

Jim
anne_sa
Level VI

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your answer.

Using the labels is a good idea! Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce exactly what I want.

First I set the Value Labels so that the 100 values should be included in the last bin:

Capture.JPG

But  I still have an additional bin for the 100 values:

Capture.JPG

If I use then the hand tool, the first bin is associated to "0-10" and "10-20" values which is a bit confusing:

Capture.JPG