cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
therese
Level II

Distribution can not be changed (?)

Hi everybody! 

I am having a struggle changing the distribution of a column in my data. It is only numbers, and I want it to be continuous. However, when I right-click the column name it is not possible to click "continous". Is there any other way to do this, or is there a reason why it can not be changed? 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Distribution can not be changed (?)

That has happened to me as well - usually after importing a file from Excel.  I don't know the cause (perhaps someone can explain that).  But it is easy to make the change.  Rather than trying to change the variable type symbol in front of the column on the list, go into "Column Info" (right click on the column) and manually change the data type and/or modeling type there.  Provided that the column only contains numbers, this will work even when the option is grayed out when you try to do it the quicker way.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dale_lehman
Level VII

That has happened to me as well - usually after importing a file from Excel.  I don't know the cause (perhaps someone can explain that).  But it is easy to make the change.  Rather than trying to change the variable type symbol in front of the column on the list, go into "Column Info" (right click on the column) and manually change the data type and/or modeling type there.  Provided that the column only contains numbers, this will work even when the option is grayed out when you try to do it the quicker way.

therese
Level II

Thanks Dale! That solved it.
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

It sounds like your data was imported as chacter type even thougth they were all numbers. That is why you could not change the modeling type to continuous without first changing the data type to numeric. If the data is left justified in your JMP table it is of character type even if it only contains numbers.