cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bobmorrane
Level V

Display pictures (Exrpessions) in a dialog box or graph builder

Hey everyone,

/* Using JMP 14.1.0 */

I'm using a data table with pictures from measurements on samples made in different conditions. I have about 300 lines with about a hundred columns. I added 4 columns with pictures of about 320x240 pixels ("Expression" data type). What I would like to do is, looking at individual lines, display the different images side by side.

In the graph builder, I manage to display one type of image using the option ->Column menu->Use for marker. I can see a second image when I hover on to an already displayed image using the "Label" option on a second image column. This is a little bit annoying to have to hover onto an image every time to display a second one. I have 4 types of images to display here, so how could I dipslay more ???

Could I use a dialog box to do this? I know you can display pictures there, as files, but is it possible to display pictures that are in your data table, as expressions ? I'm struggling to display variables in boxes at all, so I wouldn't know where to start with the "Expression" data type.

I guess I don't absolutely need my pictures to be embedded inside the table, (though I think it would make long-term storage simpler) I could just use the pictures from folders.  

/* A commment on the side: displaying images using a marker size of 100, it is very difficult to display the label when hovering over it. Why is that ? You have to find the small dot in the middle that represents the original coordinates of the marker... I'm submitting a new idea on that topic */

~~Bob~~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Re: Display pictures (Exrpessions) in a dialog box or graph builder

Please take a look at the answer to https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Is-it-possible-to-combine-two-pictures-in-one-expression-co... for a way to display multiple images in the GraphBuilder hover labels using a new JMP 15.0 feature called graphlets.

It also works with images stored in folders, or even retrieved from the web using an HTTP call.

For more information on graphlets, check https://www.jmp.com/content/dam/jmp/documents/en/support/jmp15/using-jmp.pdf, page 512.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pmroz
Super User

Hi Bob,

The presentation Justin Chilton and I did at Discovery Summit 2018 might be helpful.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discovery-Summit-2018/Supercharge-Your-User-Interfaces-in-JSL-US-2018-1...

There's an example where I create a dialog box using pictures and text from a table containing Steering Committee information.  All of the code is available in a .zip file.

Regards,

Peter

bobmorrane
Level V

Thanks @pmroz indeed these scripts will be useful for what I want to do :)
~~Bob~~
bobmorrane
Level V

A very good presentation indeed, showing all the potentiality of JSL! Thanks a lot :)
~~Bob~~

You did not provide enough detail about your goal to say if a custom window or images as markers is the best way to go. For the images as markers direction, please see Help > Books > Using JMP > Chapter 9: JMP Reports. There is a section about how to set up the images in the data table and then assign them as plot markers.

bobmorrane
Level V

Hi @Mark_Bailey,

sorry if my post was unclear.

What I'm trying to do is to display images from 4 columns at the same time on a graph. As far as I'm aware, the "use for marker" option can only display the images from one column at a time (in JMP14), so it sounds like a custom window is probably best.

~~Bob~~
nascif_jmp
Level VI

Please take a look at the answer to https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Is-it-possible-to-combine-two-pictures-in-one-expression-co... for a way to display multiple images in the GraphBuilder hover labels using a new JMP 15.0 feature called graphlets.

It also works with images stored in folders, or even retrieved from the web using an HTTP call.

For more information on graphlets, check https://www.jmp.com/content/dam/jmp/documents/en/support/jmp15/using-jmp.pdf, page 512.

bobmorrane
Level V

Thanks @nascif_jmp but unfortunately I only have JMP 14.1.0 and I don't think there is a plan to transition to 15 any time soon...
~~Bob~~
bobmorrane
Level V

Forgot to close this thread. After fiddling wiht picture boxes I am now much more comfortable with how to do this.
I choose this response as the accetped solution as it is the one that is closest to my original issue. Indeed the idea in the link to join 1 pictures in one to use as label is simple and elegant.
~~Bob~~