Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Frogger
Level II

Difficulty getting background map with state plane (meter) coordinates

Good Day,

I have time series data that are geospatially referenced. I am attempting to get a background map so I can orient points over time to landmarks and analyze select pieces of the data. 

Problem: I want to run the time series in a bubble plot with a detailed earth background map so I can then select data points that are near geographic futures. I cannot get the background map to work. 

Data were collected in NAD 1983 State Plane Oregon North 3601 (meters). In the attached data table you will see that the coordinates correspond to columns "X" & "Y." I used ESRI and converted to Lat. Long. Columns "Lat" & "Long" as I was attempting to follow guidance of the Hurricane tracking example or background map examples:

Link: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/16.2/#page/jmp/hurricane-tracking-examples.shtml#ww488226

The Hurricane tracking example needs a linking identifier between the shape file and dbf file. I cannot parce how to make a similar function with my data as mine are running time series of point through time (i.e. each point has a uniqe identifier), not strict boundaries of space like counties. I think my approach is wrong. There must be a way to get a background map overlayed on my points using the state plane or lat. long. coordinates that I have. When I build a bubble plot with:

x = lat

y = long

ID = shape ID

Time = Time int

the program gives me the following error:

Frogger_0-1689874530824.png

If I do a simple bubble plot without "ID" and attempt to put a detailed earth map on the background it fails.... The axis labels revert to an odd scale and I no longer see the points. 

I imagine there is a simple way around this and it might be as simple as playing with the axis of the plot or how I code the lat. long column properties, but I have played with it cannot find a path forward. 

Appreciate any and all thoughts on my problem.

JMP version 16.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Difficulty getting background map with state plane (meter) coordinates

@Frogger  cool data! People or fish? Tiny little GPSs?

Be sure to change the character lat/lon to numeric continuous as shown. Don't convert to numeric without also specifying the format or it might become missing values. I'm not a bubble plot user, so I may have missed some cool features...maybe someone else can point them out. You can right-click the speed slider and change the right-end limit to be much bigger and make the animation go a bit faster.

Craige

View solution in original post

Frogger
Level II

@Craige_Hales

Particle model data reacting to a hydrodynamic flow model.... Fake fish swimming through a modeled river and responding to parameters of flow with behaviors that have been coded. Attempting to match them up to telemetered data to show we can model fish behaviors and migration. 

Duh! I needed to set the column format to interpret it as lat. long.... Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I knew there was a simple way. I will evaluate tomorrow when I have access to the data source again. Wondering how your street maps read it so quickly. Perhaps you have already downloaded the file? 

Appreciate the support and timely input!

Per the orientation arrow of your video below - it is a useful function. Wish there was a way to quantify how many times it flips from one specified orientation (degree threshold) to another as that would be valuable parameter to measure. 

Thank you again for helping me move past this barrier and advance my analysis. Cheers!

hogi
Level XI

really nice and illustrative  

hogi_1-1689949542175.png

hogi_0-1689949520261.png

5 REPLIES 5
Craige_Hales
Super User

@Frogger  cool data! People or fish? Tiny little GPSs?

Be sure to change the character lat/lon to numeric continuous as shown. Don't convert to numeric without also specifying the format or it might become missing values. I'm not a bubble plot user, so I may have missed some cool features...maybe someone else can point them out. You can right-click the speed slider and change the right-end limit to be much bigger and make the animation go a bit faster.

Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

Frogger
Level II

@Craige_Hales

Particle model data reacting to a hydrodynamic flow model.... Fake fish swimming through a modeled river and responding to parameters of flow with behaviors that have been coded. Attempting to match them up to telemetered data to show we can model fish behaviors and migration. 

Duh! I needed to set the column format to interpret it as lat. long.... Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I knew there was a simple way. I will evaluate tomorrow when I have access to the data source again. Wondering how your street maps read it so quickly. Perhaps you have already downloaded the file? 

Appreciate the support and timely input!

Per the orientation arrow of your video below - it is a useful function. Wish there was a way to quantify how many times it flips from one specified orientation (degree threshold) to another as that would be valuable parameter to measure. 

Thank you again for helping me move past this barrier and advance my analysis. Cheers!

hogi
Level XI

really nice and illustrative  

hogi_1-1689949542175.png

hogi_0-1689949520261.png

Frogger
Level II

Indeed. The bubble plots have great application for these data. Thanks for the interest.