cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Prometheus
Level II

Delta calculations

I have a dataset with hourly observations the last three years og different water meters. 
The issue is that the observations shows the meter stand, and not the water usage. 
I want to calculate/show a delta change for each hour, for each water meter. How do I approach that? 

Some of the analysis I want to make with this dataset is to find if a meter has a negative usage at one point (indicating water running the wrong way) or that a meter has to big a delta indicating a leakage.

My workplace is starting to work on data quality, so besides the above I will also want to look at things like if timestamps are consistent or if there is change in the timestamps (if observations for a specific meter is not comming back at the same minut-number each hour). 
One analysis tool I am looking forward to explore is the process quality 

18 REPLIES 18
jthi
Super User

Re: Delta calculations

You can use R with JMP, but that solution looks fairly similar to the solution using Lag() in JMP (you could also use Dif()). My solution with Col Moving Average is more difficult to understand but the idea is to use Col Moving Average to get the value of previous row.

Scripting Guide > Extending JMP > Work with R 

JSL Syntax Reference > JSL Functions, Operators, and Messages > R Integration Functions 

-Jarmo
jthi
Super User

You can also use Col Moving Average() to get the value from previous row (can make it easier when working with group columns)

Names Default To Here(1);

// sample data
dt = New Table("Untitled",
	Add Rows(6),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("Meter", Character, "Nominal", Set Values({"A", "A", "A", "B", "B", "B"})),
	New Column("Time", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3])),
	New Column("Value", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Best", 12), Set Values([1, 0, 2, 0, 1, 2]))
);
// Data should be sorted by time

dt << New Column("D", Numeric, Continuous, Formula(
	:Value - (Col Moving Average(:Value, 1, 1, 0, Meter) * 2 - :Value)
	// 2 * :Value - (Col Moving Average(:Value, 1, 1, 0, Meter) * 2
));
-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

cool!

much more robust and compact

Prometheus
Level II

When I try to use any of the solutions here, I only get the first date (=0) and not the rest -I tried to sort in different ways to see if it is here I am doing something wrong

Udklip.PNG

jthi
Super User

Your column names seem to be wrong, start by fixing those in the formula

-Jarmo
Prometheus
Level II

Ah, I see the spelling error.

Prometheus
Level II

Is there a description of the col moving average function? 
When I look in the support page the description dos not say anything about how many values it takes.

Col Moving Average

Returns the moving average over a given interval based at the current row. Missing values are ignored

hogi
Level XI

I will try to upload a new version of the Normalization GUI .

The new version has an option to calculate the difference to the previous row - based on the trick that @jthi provided here.
Jarmo's code (via Col Moving Average) is much better than what you get via the right click new formula column menu

After the update, it will look like this.
New:  "N-1"

hogi_0-1695214660547.png

jthi
Super User

I did provide link to the documentation in one of my posts: JSL Syntax Reference > JSL Functions, Operators, and Messages > Statistical Functions - Col Moving A... . In my opinion the documentation for Col Moving Average isn't very clear and usually I have to make some small tests to get it working properly (and remember how it works).

jthi_0-1695214119143.png

Other place to find some documentation (sometimes different...) is Scripting Index from JMP's help menu

jthi_1-1695214183815.png

-Jarmo