cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
seaseeboy
Level I

DOE custom design and box-behnken design

Can  i  use the “custom design ”to build a box-behnken design in jmp?i found that when i use  custom design and click·the RSM Button trying to build a surface design,the final design is different  from the box-behnken design which is directly builded by “Response Surface Design”,so how is happening?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: DOE custom design and box-behnken design

There is one set of principals behind the design of an experiment but there are many methods and each method offers its own set of choices. If you prefer the Box-Behnken design method, then use it. It is not possible to create such a design with JMP Custom Design, though.

Simply select DOE > Classic Design > RSM. Select the Box-Behnken design after defining the responses and factors. (It seems that you alread know how to make a Box-Behnken design with JMP.)

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: DOE custom design and box-behnken design

To add a bit to @Mark_Bailey 's advice, sometimes people use more classic DOE families of designs because, well that's what they were taught in their DOE 1 class. Me, case in point. Back in the early 1980's when I took my DOE 1 class, methods such as the Box Behnken and Central Composite designs were kind of the defacto RSM design types. And as Mark states, they each have their own unique properties and requirements. As statistical methods research AND more powerful desktop computing hardware/software became more prevalent, additional methods were introduced into the mainstream through first the literature and software, and now training and classroom type experiences. Optimal DOE methods is one very large case in point example. JMP houses all optimal DOE methods in the Custom Design platform. Often times using these methods can be much more efficient than the classic methods wrt to solving the practical problems at hand.

So what you may want to consider, if you haven't done so already, is create several designs in JMP (Box Behnken, one or more optimal designs, etc.) and then use JMP's Evaluate Design platform to compare and contrast the performance characteristics of each candidate design and then pick one. My choice is usually guided by the same basic principle I was introduced to back in my first DOE 1 class..."Pick the design that provides the required information for the least expenditure of resources."

Good luck! Hope this helps?