cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
robot
Level VI

Crosshair Tool: How to Edit Decimal Places?

The JMP crosshair tool seems to display any number digits in a large value, but it will only display up to 2 decimal numeric digits.  This is a problem because below 1/100 resolution, the crosshair value may not vary at all across the axis in view (IE: it will always display 0.01).

Is there a way to edit the number of decimal places displayed by the crosshair tool?

I am using JMP11.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpb
mpb
Level VII

Re: Crosshair Tool: How to Edit Decimal Places?

"I think it would be a helpful feature request.  Logically, it would make sense for the crosshairs to use the format associated with the axis settings."

I believe that was how the crosshairs did work at least up through V10.0.2. According to JMP support at some point after that the behavior changed. I didn't get a clear picture of when we might see a fix. It may be fixed in whatever release is next (11..x or 12?).

Michael

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Greetings, Robot-

I don't believe there is a way to set the number of decimal places displayed by the crosshair tool, but (and this is only useful in a small set of circumstances) if you change an axis to Log scale (by double clicking the axis, then changing "Linear" to "Log") the crosshairs will display an extra decimal place for that axis.

7113_Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.44.50 PM.png

I'll be happy to submit a feature request for this-- if you use the crosshairs often I imagine this isn't a rare frustration!

Julian

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

I think it would be a helpful feature request.  Logically, it would make sense for the crosshairs to use the format associated with the axis settings.

As increasingly the graph builder becomes the platform of choice the use of the graphics toolbar becomes increasingly painful.  There was a time where C would give me the crosshairs, Z the zoom tool.  Now the column listbox within the graph builder picks up the focus and prevents these keyboard shortcuts from functioning.

Dave

-Dave
mpb
mpb
Level VII

"I think it would be a helpful feature request.  Logically, it would make sense for the crosshairs to use the format associated with the axis settings."

I believe that was how the crosshairs did work at least up through V10.0.2. According to JMP support at some point after that the behavior changed. I didn't get a clear picture of when we might see a fix. It may be fixed in whatever release is next (11..x or 12?).

Michael

Jeff_Perkinson

Michael is correct. This appears to be an unintentional change in JMP 11.

I'll see if we can get it addressed in a future release.

-Jeff

-Jeff
Jeff_Perkinson

This was, indeed, addressed in JMP 12. The crosshair tool now shows a useful number of significant digits for small numbers.

-Jeff