cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ark1019
Level I

Count how many time Y is greater than N

Is there a formula that can be used to determine the number of rows that contain a value greater than a predetermined number, like > 65%?

I guess it would be similar to a countif formula in excel. I  want to count if the value is greater than 65%.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Re: Count how many time Y is greater than N

col sum(if(:your target column > .65, 1, 0));

and this can be shortened to:

col sum(:your target column > .65);
Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Of course, if you really only care about knowing the number – as opposed to using it in a further formula – the fastest way to find this is to use the Data Filter (Rows->Data Filter) and then use the filter to select the rows where the value is greater that 65%. You can then see the number of selected rows in the data table.

-Jeff
tamirlance
Level I

Is there a way to do this where 0.65 is not a fixed value but rather the ith value in an adjacent row?  Meaning - could I have another cloumn that is a list of percentages and for every row I calculate the sum of the target column greater than the percentage of the ith row of the percentage column?

Something like:

col sum(:your target column > percentage column);

txnelson
Super User

Do you want to only add up the rows where the target column's value is greater than a percentage columns value?

col sum( If(:target column > :percentage column, :target column, 0 );
Jim
tamirlance
Level I

yes except I have the complication that the target column is the same as the percentage column.  So as I go down the row - I want the value int hat row to act as the threshold for the column 

I attached an example data file.  I have gotten it to work with summation but it's terribly slow/inefficient and won't work on my real data of >3M rows.

The second column is the summation formula.  The third column is the one I want to work.  The fourth and fifth columns are variations of the third using fixed values and those evaluate properly for that particular value I put in. 

XanGregg
Staff

That sounds a lot like the rank. Col Rank() basically give you the number of items less than a given item (plus 1). For ties, you'd have to use Col Rank(:x, <<tie("minimum")). But you want greater than, so you could subtract the rank from the total number and also substract off the number of equal values:

Col Number( :Binned Temperature )
- Col Rank( :Binned Temperature, <<tie( "minimum" ))
- Col Number( :Binned Temperature, :Binned Temperature )
+ 1
tamirlance
Level I

This is great - thanks!