cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
loganshawn
Level III

Could anybody recommend an online course or books of mathematics for DoE?

I am reading A Primer on Experiments with Mixtures by John Cornell. However, I was lost after 40 pages. I hope I could understand the principle of math behind it. Could anyone please recommend some online courses or books that will help me understand math for DoE?  I am not satisfied with using JMP as a tool without understanding the background principle, and I am not confident with the analysis result without knowing the principle of different models. Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Could anybody recommend an online course or books of mathematics for DoE?

Hi @loganshawn,

You could maybe start by the excellent ressources JMP offers, in order to combine learning and practice :

Design of Experiments Intro Kit | Getting Started with JMP

Statistical Thinking (STIPS) - Free Online Statistics Course | JMP

Design of Experiments (DOE) Course | JMP

Design of Experiments | JMP

Concerning book recommendation, you may be interested in "Optimal designs of experiments, a case study approach" by Peter Goos and Bradley Jones.

Hope it helps you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
P_Bartell
Level VIII

I agree with all the references provided by @Victor_G . But if your focus is on the math, there is a mathematical basis for both creating designs (classic, optimal, mixture, along with accompanying techniques like blocking, indeed all DOE family types) AND the analysis. Because so much of the math depends on the exact modeling method. The math behind ordinary least squares is very different from say nominal logistic regression. Or what about using an associated modeling method like stepwise regression. Different math again. So be prepared.

And never ever go to the modeling without first exploring your experimental results graphically. So I'd also suggest learning all these techniques as well. This is quite frankly where JMP shines...sure the math is there...but by design JMP tries to keep the math in the background and let's you explore visually. Trust me...having worked at SAS with the developers and coders of JMP...they've forgotten more about statistics than I'll ever know...they get the 'math' right.

Math aside, if you are new to DOE in general I'd also try and seek out a mentor that has a deeper and broader understanding of DOE. It's one thing to read a book and do online exercises...it's a whole other animal actually doing it so find someone to hold your hand along the way.

I hope this helps?

Phil_Kay
Staff

Hi @loganshawn,

The advice from @P_Bartell and @Victor_G is excellent.

I would add that it depends how deep you want to go. Many of the books on DOE (including Cornell and Goos&Jones) go into some more advanced mathematics, including matrix mathematics. And you also need to know your statistics, as distinct from mathematics.

However, my view is that people can understand the important principles of DOE without getting into difficult maths or statistics. I wrote a series of blog posts to explain DOE in simple terms. That might be useful for you.

I hope that helps,

Phil