cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Jonkandonkan
Level II

Convert data from hr:m:s to mm:ss,0 ?

Hi

I have a data set where I want to analyse performance (the duration) in 1500 m running. The data is imported from another database, txt-files originally (which I didn't do). JMP says/thins it is in hr:m:s format, but it should be in minutes, seconds and hundreds of a second. Is it possible to do? Or just convert it to seconds, maybe this is how the statistics are done?.

I've tried in JMP an via Excel to convert it but no luck or skill. Since Excel already thinks it hr:m:s it gets wrong when converting it to mm:ss,0 JMP1500.JPGJMP1500m.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Jonkandonkan
Level II

Re: Convert data from hr:m:s to mm:ss,0 ?

Since when I'm converting from h:m:s to m:s it (accurately) converts the hours to minutes.. I Guess I don't wanna convert it just get JMP know it is in minutes, seconds, and if possible hundreds. 

First create a new column. Using the Formula in the column proporties of the new columnyou could use something like this, if you set your column first to a character column:

Num( Word( 1, :Name( "1500 meters" ), ":" ) ) * 60 + Num(Word( 2, :Name( "1500 meters" ), ":" ) + Num(Word( 3, :Name( "1500 meters" ), ":" )/100)

Or if you want to keep a numeric column with the h:m:s format you could create a new column using this formula: 

Hour( :Name( "1500 meters" ) ) * 60 + Minute( :Name( "1500 meters" ) ) + Second( :Name( "1500 meters" ) ) / 100

The issue is that you will loose the fraction of seconds information, unless you set the number of decimal places to e.g. 10 and the input format as numeric and output to h:m:s. This is descripbed also with an example here: Discussions/Converting-numeric-seconds-to-0-00-0-time-format 

/****NeverStopLearning****/
Jonkandonkan
Level II

Thanks alot. I just used the second formula for numeric data, the fraction of seconds work too.