cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MiBo
Level III

Control chart Xbar-R for large subgroup size

JMP is able to produce Xbar-R charts for large subgroup sizes.  What is the equation for upper control limit on range if the subgroup size is 475?  I have 60 subgroups each having a subgroup size of 475.  

I already understand how to calculate the control limits on S for Xbar-S, I don't know the equation for UCLR for Xbar-R.

Mike

11 REPLIES 11
MiBo
Level III

Re: Control chart Xbar-R for large subgroup size

In this situation there is no "correct" way of choosing Xbar-R and Xbar-S, they are both wrong.  The variation within subgroups is comprised of three components of variation: short term randomness, "long term" trends and occasional special cause unpredictable spikes.  There are no control charts that are correct for this situation.  There is only advanced modeling, which in the end might be appropriate. However, in this situation with this product under these conditions, range charts have demonstrated their capability at being better at detecting data having spikes, S charts are too sensitive and cause over-reaction.

I simply wanted to know the math.  Had I more skills at JMP help I could have avoided the help forums.  I feel offended at having to defend myself just in order to ask a question about how something works.  If you look at the responses I got to my question, more than half the people were telling me I was doing something wrong without offering any insight into an answer.  That borders on trolling, and is more like Reddit than it is a professional help forum.  Only two people contributed something toward answering my actual question.

Try to give someone the benefit of the doubt and don't immediately assume that because I am breaking some guidelines I am therefore incompetent and am some sort of heretic.  I wasn't asking an applicaiton question, I was asking a question about the formulas.

There was one person that was curious about why n=475, as opposed to the multitude that said I should do Xbar-S.  Xbar-S is also wrong, but in the face of opposition I can't be bothered to elaborate.

Re: Control chart Xbar-R for large subgroup size

I am sorry that you interpreted the replies here that way. No one, as far as I can tell, was asking you to defend yourself. The questions asked of you were for the sake of clarity. It is easy to provide a wrong answer or solution if the important details are missing from the discussion. I don't see anyone telling you that you were wrong. They implied that the subgroup size is unusual in their experience, and so, wondered about the nature of the subgroups.

It is your decision whether to elaborate further here. I hope that you will use the Community in the future when you have a question about JMP, as it is likely the best resource available to you.