cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
kschnarrs
Level II

Control Chart Value Ordering

Is there a way, when making a control chart (not using control chart builder) to get the “Sample Label” sorted according to the Value Ordering assigned to that column? Every time I try it, even if there is a value order assigned to the column, the control chart will display the data in the order it appears in the table, which is frustrating if you want to use the manual control chart rather than control chart builder (the process capability appears differently depending on whether you’re using regular control charts vs control chart builder), but you have a lot of data that you don’t want to manually reorder in the table.

5 REPLIES 5
kschnarrs
Level II

Re: Control Chart Value Ordering

I also want to use a regular control chart w/o control chart builder because I don't want the "Moving Range" chart, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it with control chart builder.

louv
Staff (Retired)

In Control Chart Builder in order to remove the Moving Range Chart you just have to drag the X-axis and drag it off the drop zone.

kschnarrs
Level II

Hmm, well I can't drag and drop the X-axis, but I am able to remove that chart by right clicking on the y-axis label for it. When I remove the moving range chart, it also removes the capability analysis, which I did want. Do you need to show the one to have the other?

louv
Staff (Retired)

It's a bit tricky. I should have stated to drag the X-variable and not the X-axis.

I too lose the capability report when I remove it.

The old control chart platforms do no sorting whatsoever on the x variable.  Since no sorting is done, the Value Ordering property does not make any sense in this context.  Control charts are essentially time series data.  JMP assumes that your data has been entered according to this so-called time variable.  For the old control chart platforms, you will need to sort your data the way you want it to appear prior to creating the chart.

With the addition of the Control Chart Builder, platform, JMP will now sort the x-axis for you.  Value Ordering will now apply in the Control Chart Builder platform.  The issue that you mention about the capability analysis disappearing when the Moving Range chart is removed has been fixed for Version 13 of JMP.  In the meantime, you can use the preference, Show Two Shewhart Charts (make sure this is not checked) and when you create your IR chart, the capability analysis will remain.