Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AU
AU
Level III

Connect Points on a Ternary Plot

Hi there,

Is there any way to connect data points in a ternary plot? My hope is to connect points like this image is showing.

I am looking to create traces to "fingerprint" the evolution of a reaction with 3 species.  The difficulty I am having is that the bulky data points sometimes overlap and get in the way of showing the nuances between each "condition" when I use the row legend to color by condition. A line would be smoother and thinner to see the nuances clearly! Your help is greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Connect Points on a Ternary Plot

I am not aware of such a feature in the Ternary Plot in JMP. It would require a custom graphics script.

The example that you provided is confusing. The markers in a ternary plot usually represent the composition of the mixtures in the data set, not the values of the response. I don't see how it portrays the conversion, too. The example also implies that process factors (i.e., temperature) change along with the mixture. I do not understand the purpose of the blue and red colors.

Have you used the Mixture Profiler from the Graph menu? It is not the approach that you requested, but it might provide visualizations that are useful to you.

AU
AU
Level III

Thanks for your response!  Sorry that the example was confusing.  The example I provided is closest to the way that we are using the ternary plot, without sharing confidential data. 

I understand that the way the plot is being used is not typical.  The process factor (time) does change inherently change as the reaction progresses - and what we are trying to do is track the reaction's 3 species as time progresses.  The 3 species add up to 100.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm a novice with JMP, and I have briefly looked into the mixture profiler.  It seems like mixture profiler need a function or model to use it appropriately, which is something I don't fully know how to implement with this.  Would it require a DOE type of analysis?

A model is saved as a column formula in JMP or additionally in the Formula Depot in JMP Pro. They are just formulas. So you can use the Formula Editor with any column to define a model. The model could be defined externally to JMP (theoretical) or it could be saved from a fitting platform (empirical). The data can be any kind that supports fitting a particular model. So a DOE would provide such a data set, but the requirements are not limited to such a case.