Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Concordance analysis with continous variable

Marc

Occasional Contributor

May 4, 2017

Hello,

I am trying to solve the following statistical problem in jmp:

1. I got a gold standard fixed variable y (for example: y = 100)

2. I got three data sets x1,x2,x3: (for example x1=92;94;99 / x2=92;94;99;101;103 / x3=92;94;99;101;103;107;100;99;100)
please note: the data sets have similar data, but the number of data points are different. all variables are continuous.

I am looking for with a statistical test or function, to evaluate which dataset x1, x2 or x3 has the closest mean AND the lowest SD to match the gold standard y ? - please note: the gold standard y has no sd, just a fixed value. Looking at ther samples for concordance analysis I just could do this was nominal variables; mine are ordinal or continous.

Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks, Marc
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

I understand your use of the word 'concordance' here but that word is also a statistical term that refers to measures of agreement among categorical variables.

I recommend using confidence interval estimates of the mean. The 'gold standard' is your null hypothesis H0: mean = 100) and therefore your alternative hypothesis is that the opposite (H1: mean not = 100). You compare the intervals to the gold standard and to each other using Analyze > Fit Y by X (Oneway platform). Here is your example in a data table laid out for Oneway:

capture.jpeg\\

Here is the Oneway platform with a reference line for the gold standard and the results for ANOVA:

capture.jpeg

Now you compare the confidence interval for each sample. You can plot them in Graph Builder, too. Right-click on the Means for Oneway Anova table and select Make Into Data Table. It might look like this:

capture.jpeg

Learn it once, use it forever!
Marc

Occasional Contributor

May 4, 2017

Solution

Many thanks @markbailey !

3 REPLIES
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Solution

I understand your use of the word 'concordance' here but that word is also a statistical term that refers to measures of agreement among categorical variables.

I recommend using confidence interval estimates of the mean. The 'gold standard' is your null hypothesis H0: mean = 100) and therefore your alternative hypothesis is that the opposite (H1: mean not = 100). You compare the intervals to the gold standard and to each other using Analyze > Fit Y by X (Oneway platform). Here is your example in a data table laid out for Oneway:

capture.jpeg\\

Here is the Oneway platform with a reference line for the gold standard and the results for ANOVA:

capture.jpeg

Now you compare the confidence interval for each sample. You can plot them in Graph Builder, too. Right-click on the Means for Oneway Anova table and select Make Into Data Table. It might look like this:

capture.jpeg

Learn it once, use it forever!
Marc

Occasional Contributor

May 4, 2017

Solution

Many thanks @markbailey !

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You need to change the "Accepted Solution" from your response to Mark Bailey's response.  The marking of an "Accepted Solution" is not intended to just indicate that a solution to a Discussion Question has been found, but it need to point to the response that has the actual solution

Jim