cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
chadyoder
Level I

Compute Column Mean while restricting observations used

Hello,

I want to get a column mean into a new column but I want to be able to restrict the date range that I use.  I want to be able to say get column mean from day x to day y in my formula.   This is the current formula that i have:

New Column ("X",

Numeric,

Continuous,

Format ("Best", 12),

Formula (Col Mean (:WeeklyPercent, :Week, :Source)), Set Selected);

It pull the average weekly percent by week and source of the data which is perfect, however, even when I put a data filter on the dataset it still pulls the mean for the entire data set by those two by variables.  I want to be able to change the date range that those column means are from.  Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Column Mean using only part of the dataset

The column functions operate on the whole table, ignoring selection and exclusions. However, you can make a formula column that's dependent on the row state and use that column as a BY variable.

New Column( "mysel", Formula( Selected( Row State() ) ) );

New Column( "meany", Formula( Col Mean( :y, :mysel) ) );

If you're using the global data filter with selection turned on, the Column Means will be recomputed whenever the selection changes.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Column Mean using only part of the dataset

The column functions operate on the whole table, ignoring selection and exclusions. However, you can make a formula column that's dependent on the row state and use that column as a BY variable.

New Column( "mysel", Formula( Selected( Row State() ) ) );

New Column( "meany", Formula( Col Mean( :y, :mysel) ) );

If you're using the global data filter with selection turned on, the Column Means will be recomputed whenever the selection changes.