cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
acbart
Level I

Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Hello,

I am analyzing some data collected over the past year. For privacy reasons, I don't want to dive into it too much, but I think I've developed a simplified version of the experiment that I can use to ask questions.

I have a randomized design with a 3x4 factorial arrangement. We'll say that I have a "Day" factor (Day 1, Day 10, Day 30) and a "Treatment" factor (Approach A, Approach B, Approach A+B, and control Approach C). I am interested in the response variable "Value" (a numeric score indicating their performance on 100 point assessment). For each combination of Day and Treatment, let's say I have 3 participants. In other words, my data is something like:

DayTreatmentValue
1A30, 31, 33
10A50, 52, 55
30A90, 92, 93
1B32, 30, 31
10B40, 41, 43
30B75, 73, 76

I want to compare Value means between the Treatments and Days AND control for the interaction of Day*Treatment. So my question is, how do I do this in JMP? Am I using "Fit Model" or "Fit Y by X"? In the former, I don't see how I'm comparing means. In the latter, I don't see how to incorporate the interactions effect.

I apologize in advance - my speciality is Computer Science, not Statistics, so I might be a little slow on the uptake. I'm fine with a scripting answer, but I'd much prefer interactive explanation.

2 REPLIES 2
shoffmeister
Level V

Re: Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Hi Acbart,

the "Fit Y by X" plattform only works for 2 variables. As you are analysing 3 variables you will have to work with "Fit Model".

fit model.PNG

Now in the report chose the main hotspot (red triangle on the top left) and go to "Estimates" => Multiple Comparisons

multiple comparisons.PNG

The dialog provides multiple methods of comparing means. You will find more information about these methods in the help: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/multiple-comparisons.shtml

I hope this helps,

Sebastian

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Even though I am not new to statistics, I always recommend plotting results.  I reformatted the example data you supplied into a stacked format (often called the Anova format ). Attached the the table is a script to draw the variability plot.

Once you run it, put your mouse (pointer) over Day to the right of the horizontal axis, and drag Day to Treatment. 

A significant interaction will be found with Fit Model, if the size of difference of the effect between A abd B is different by Day or the size of the Day effect is different by Treatment ( A vs B). Interpretting the calculated size of an effect and interactions is much easier using a graphical representation of the effects.

Just and FYI.