cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
acbart
Level I

Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Hello,

I am analyzing some data collected over the past year. For privacy reasons, I don't want to dive into it too much, but I think I've developed a simplified version of the experiment that I can use to ask questions.

I have a randomized design with a 3x4 factorial arrangement. We'll say that I have a "Day" factor (Day 1, Day 10, Day 30) and a "Treatment" factor (Approach A, Approach B, Approach A+B, and control Approach C). I am interested in the response variable "Value" (a numeric score indicating their performance on 100 point assessment). For each combination of Day and Treatment, let's say I have 3 participants. In other words, my data is something like:

DayTreatmentValue
1A30, 31, 33
10A50, 52, 55
30A90, 92, 93
1B32, 30, 31
10B40, 41, 43
30B75, 73, 76

I want to compare Value means between the Treatments and Days AND control for the interaction of Day*Treatment. So my question is, how do I do this in JMP? Am I using "Fit Model" or "Fit Y by X"? In the former, I don't see how I'm comparing means. In the latter, I don't see how to incorporate the interactions effect.

I apologize in advance - my speciality is Computer Science, not Statistics, so I might be a little slow on the uptake. I'm fine with a scripting answer, but I'd much prefer interactive explanation.

2 REPLIES 2
shoffmeister
Level V

Re: Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Hi Acbart,

the "Fit Y by X" plattform only works for 2 variables. As you are analysing 3 variables you will have to work with "Fit Model".

fit model.PNG

Now in the report chose the main hotspot (red triangle on the top left) and go to "Estimates" => Multiple Comparisons

multiple comparisons.PNG

The dialog provides multiple methods of comparing means. You will find more information about these methods in the help: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/multiple-comparisons.shtml

I hope this helps,

Sebastian

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Comparing means of two categorical factors including interactions

Even though I am not new to statistics, I always recommend plotting results.  I reformatted the example data you supplied into a stacked format (often called the Anova format ). Attached the the table is a script to draw the variability plot.

Once you run it, put your mouse (pointer) over Day to the right of the horizontal axis, and drag Day to Treatment. 

A significant interaction will be found with Fit Model, if the size of difference of the effect between A abd B is different by Day or the size of the Day effect is different by Treatment ( A vs B). Interpretting the calculated size of an effect and interactions is much easier using a graphical representation of the effects.

Just and FYI.