cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tlsimons
Level I

Combining two Data files

Hello Everyone, 

I have two separate data files (one for eye movements and one for performance on a task). I want to combine these two data files into one file so that I can analyze them with one another, but am running into troubles on how to get started. 

The two data files have nothing but the participant file name in common and have varying amounts of responses per participants (ie. The eye movement data has more responses per participants compared to the task performance file). 

I have uploaded the files to this post. 

Guidance would be very helpful!! 

34 REPLIES 34
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Combining two Data files

So, what is the point of combining data from the performance file that does not have the same videos?  It seems like only 200 rows will be sutiable for analysis.

tlsimons
Level I

The same 8 videos are used through the experiment. The 4 videos with performance data will also have eye movement data. I want to look at how eye movements are impacted by the performance measure.
dale_lehman
Level VII

I am still not understanding what you want to do.  If only 4 videos have eye movement data and performance data, then those are the only videos for which you can look at how eye movements are impacted by performance.  The other 4 videos will not permit you to analyze that - so won't there only be 200 rows you can analyze?

tlsimons
Level I

I need the full 400 rows to make comparisons when the performance task is not present. I will fill in the empty values in the average/video column with NA or something of the like so that I can do my analyses.
dale_lehman
Level VII

then try this one - I just included the non matches.