cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tlsimons
Level I

Combining two Data files

Hello Everyone, 

I have two separate data files (one for eye movements and one for performance on a task). I want to combine these two data files into one file so that I can analyze them with one another, but am running into troubles on how to get started. 

The two data files have nothing but the participant file name in common and have varying amounts of responses per participants (ie. The eye movement data has more responses per participants compared to the task performance file). 

I have uploaded the files to this post. 

Guidance would be very helpful!! 

34 REPLIES 34

Re: Combining two Data files

See Help > Books > Using JMP and the topic is the Join command in the Tables menu. You want to be sure not to drop multiple matches. JMP will expand the rows to make sure that all the data for each ID is captured in the join.

tlsimons
Level I

I tried using the basic "Join" methods in JMP and it multiplies my data and spits out a huge file that is not manageable.

Sorry about that. I looked at your variables and I am not sure how one would combine them. I only see a file name in one of the tables. I will leave it to a database guru in the community to come to your rescue!

dale_lehman
Level VII

Are you sure you want to join the tables rather than concatenating them?  I'm not clear on what joining them will accomplish - you have multiple rows in each data set - in what way is it meaningful to line them up side by side?  If you can explain that, I can probably tell you how to join them.  But you might want to concatenate them instead - all the data will be in one file, but only the common column names will be "joined" (vertically).

txnelson
Super User

I can see a method for joining the data tables, but that you would have to summarize the data down to the Participant.  This might be what you want, if the summarization results in meaningful data.

Jim
tlsimons
Level I

Unfortunately have a summarized version of these results is not going to be meaningful as I want to look at how the eye movements are changing with performance on the task. If i summarize the results I am losing a lot of really valuable data. This method may be something that I have to consider in the long run if what I want to do is too complex though. Could this be done leaving 8 rows per column for each participant? They watched 8 separate videos total and each one should be treated separately for the study design.
tlsimons
Level I

Could this summation method occur in a way that would leave 8 rows per participant? There were 8 different stimuli that were used and I would need to keep them separate.
tlsimons
Level I

I successfully used the concatenating method and have a single file now, however, I have a lot of empty values within my data now in which it will not allow me to run analyses because I am missing values for my main outcome variables.
dale_lehman
Level VII

If the problem you now have is that the outcome variables are in different columns, each of which has much missing data, then you might try this:  create new columns that use existing columns when data is missing, otherwise the data that is not missing.  In other words, you have an IF statement that says IF(ISmissing(data) then Other Data, else Nonmissing Data.  You may need a multilevel IF statement to bring in all the outcome variables into a single column for analysis.