cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pmroz
Super User

Combination Line Chart and Bar Chart?

Is there a way in JMP to create a graph that combines a line chart with a bar chart? I was not able to create one using regular menus.

This is pretty easy to do in Excel, btw.

Thanks,
Peter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Combination Line Chart and Bar Chart?

You can show multiple Y's on the chart, but I don't think you can show different types of graphs for different Y's. If you have JMP 8, you can use the graph builder. Using membrane, drag Brand to the X, then pull Count 1 to the bottom of the y axis and Count 2 to the top of the y axis. Right mouse click over each of these graphs and on 1 of them select points>change to > bar and on the other 1 select points>change to> line.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
afterword
Level IV

Sure is - use the Chart platform, and assign your columns to the X and Y axes. The chart will default to bars, but you can right click on the individual Y fields in the legend and choose from bar, line, needle, and point in any combination you choose.
pmroz
Super User

Tried that but it didn't work. I used the Membrane dataset (Help > Sample Data Directory > Analysis of Variance > Membrane).

I chose Graph > Chart, and then selected Brand for (Categories, X, Levels), and Count1 and Count2 as Y variables (Statistics > Data).

Even though Bar Chart was selected I got a line chart. If I right clicked on a Y field in the legend and selected Bar Chart nothing happened.

I tried this with other data and got similar results.
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The bar chart option does not support data with multiple Ys for any X. Try Statistics > Mean with this data set and it works as the second poster describes.

You can show multiple Y's on the chart, but I don't think you can show different types of graphs for different Y's. If you have JMP 8, you can use the graph builder. Using membrane, drag Brand to the X, then pull Count 1 to the bottom of the y axis and Count 2 to the top of the y axis. Right mouse click over each of these graphs and on 1 of them select points>change to > bar and on the other 1 select points>change to> line.

You can do this in chart. The trick is that you need to select mean for both data in membrane and select bar. Then right click on one of the blocks on the legend and change it to line. This works in JMP 8.0.1, I don't know about earlier versions.